This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY AND CENTRAL PUBLIC LIBRARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY AND CENTRAL PUBLIC LIBRARY

List entry Number: 1110034

Location

COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY AND CENTRAL PUBLIC LIBRARY, CHRISTCHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bournemouth

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Dec-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Feb-1976

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 101721

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. CHRISTCHURCH ROAD 5186 (South Side) College of Technology and Central Public Library (Formerly listed as Municipal College) SZ 0991 20/64 19.12.73

II

2. Built as Municipal College, 1910-13, to design of F W Lacey, Borough Surveyor. Edwardian Baroque, red brick with stone dressings, situated at the Lansdowne roundabout. High tower at corner (prominent civic landmark) of red brick with rusticated quoins, tapered, stone clock stage with segmental pediments over dials; circular cupola with projecting pairs of blocked Ionic columns, carrying attic with portholes and dome. Elaborate entrance under tower: double staircase up to terrace (iron lamp standards), with balustrade of giant consoles, left uncarved, over rusticated basement arch. Doorway of thin panels and bracketed strips against rusticated piers, with segmentally pediment window and bull's eye embraced by main arch (big keystone). Christchurch Road frontage symmetrical, basement and 2 storeys, with continuously glazed north-light dormer to studios on roof. Tripartite centre with blocked Tuscan columns in pairs, fully glazed with arched glazing bars between, over basement with projecting stone bands forming 'plinth'; big brick frieze and stone cornice, raised brick and stone eminences at corners. Recessed wings, also with blocked Tuscan columns in pairs, flanked by cupolas with bull's -eye windows framed by rusticated pilasters, smooth stone domes over. At east end, remodelled buff brick and stone villa of circa 1860 (Strathearn), given entrance of 1912-13. Meyrick Road frontage also symmetrical. Centre 5 windows wide, 2 storeys and attic, segment-headed windows and rusticated stone strips to ground floor, loggia of blocked coupled Tuscan columns and wrought-iron railings with wreaths to 1st floor, with coupled pilasters framing windows inside loggia; brick frieze and eaves cornice with dentils, supporting recessed attic of rusticated lunettes between brick pilasters. Projecting wings, 3 storeys: rusticated stone ground floor with tripartite windows and stone strips, red brick 1st floor with tripartite windows recessed in elaborately shouldered frame, pedimented gable to 2nd floor with quasi-Venetian window between square corner eminences of brick with rusticated quoins and stone panels. Slate roofs, ridges of tile, brick chimneys with stone cornices. Rear elevation (Central Library) incomplete: double staircase to 1st floor entrance (scrolly iron railing) with bowed balcony over rusticated lunette of basement porch, tripartite window under pedimented gable to 2nd floor. Completed wing to left 3 windows wide, with tall shouldered maims to 1st floor windows and pedimented dormers with big keystones. Rear of college irregular and incomplete: assembly hall circa 1925 with segmental gable and windows; south wing enclosing courtyard of 1956.

Listing NGR: SZ0958591335

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 09585 91335

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110034 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2017 at 04:38:45.

End of official listing