This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CEDAR COURT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CEDAR COURT

List entry Number: 1110160

Location

CEDAR COURT, BOURNEMOUTH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Spetisbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jun-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 103355

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SPETISBURY ST 90 SW BOURNEMOUTH ROAD (East side)

8/79 Cedar Court (Formerly 14-7-55 listed as The Rectory)

GV II*

House, formerly Rectory, 1716, with alterations of c 1800 and mid C19. 1716 work for Dr Charles Sloper, c1800 work for Rev. Thomas Rackett, a noted naturalist and mid C19 work for Rev. Henry Vizard. Flemish bond brickwork with tiled roofs partially obscured behind parapets and end brick stacks. Partially 2 and partially 3 storeys with attics. South west facade symmetrical, 5 bays. 1:3:1. Central bays have broken pediment. C19 12-pane sashes under flat, gauged brick arches. Round-headed central doorway with panelled reveals and decorated fanlight. Panelled door. Flat porch on Corinthian columns and pilasters. North-east front, near symmetrical, 5 bays. Mostly 18-pane sashes. First floor left has 12-pane sashes. Ground floor has 2-light casements with leaded-lights. Large central staircase stair with 52-pane sash. Gauged brick arches. 8-panel part-glazed, first floor door under flat hood on Doric columns approached up a flight of steps. Internal features (RCHM): high quality oak staircase with marquetry inlay, Tuscan column newels, turned and shaped balusters and moulded handrail; various rooms with full height bolection-moulded panelling, C18 and C19 fireplaces. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.III, p.244, no.3. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N., The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.395. )

Listing NGR: ST9104302837

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 244
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 395

National Grid Reference: ST 91043 02837

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110160 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 01:48:01.

End of official listing