This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD RECTORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1110179

Location

THE OLD RECTORY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Blandford St. Mary

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jun-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 103291

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BLANDFORD ST MARY ST 80 NE LOWER BLANDFORD ST MARY

5/9 The Old Rectory (formerly 14-7-55 listed as the Vicarage)

- II

Rectory, dated RW 17j2 on staircase, early C19 alterations and north western extension of 1870. Facade in header bond brickwork with tiled roof having slate margins and end brick stacks. Coved plaster cornice. 2 storeys with attics and basements. 5 bay 2:1:2. Flat gauged arches to windows with ] part keystones. Brick aprons. Upper floor has original 12-pane sashes with thick moulded glazing bars. Lower floor has replacement 12-pane sashes. Door approached up semi-circular flight of steps. Doorcase has moulded, lugged architrave and pilastered surround with open segmental hood borne on double-scroll consoles with acanthus enrichment above. 8 fielded-panel door. Early C19 canted bays to rear. C19 extension is in English-bond brickwork and has hipped, tiled roof. Of 4 irregular window ranges including a projecting bay right. Various sash and casement windows, some of the ground floor openings having relieving arches. Near central C20 part-glazed plank door. Internally the main house has an original oak staircase with ] balusters per head. These take the form of vases surmounted by Tuscan columns. The newels are larger Tuscan columns. The spandrels bear carved scrolls. Heavy moulded handrail. The wooden landing fascia bears arabesques and is dated. There are various moulded cornices and panelling and several early C19 fireplaces. The whole house is very similar to some of the larger town houses of Blandford Forum. (R.C.H.M. Dorset, vol. IV, p.42/], no.]. Newman. J, and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.101/2.)

Listing NGR: ST8913705355

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1972), 42-43
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 101-102

National Grid Reference: ST 89137 05355

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110179 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2017 at 02:56:42.

End of official listing