CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1110182

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, BRYANSTON OLD BUILDINGS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110182 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 02:19:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, BRYANSTON OLD BUILDINGS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Bryanston

National Grid Reference: ST 87481 06969

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRYANSTON ST 80 NE BRYANSTON OLD BUILDINGS

5/29 Church of St Martin 14-7-55 GV II

Parish church, now school chapel. 1895-8 by E P Warren for Lord Portman. Ashlar faced brick. Stone, slate, tiled and lead roofs with end stone copings. Plant west tower, nave, chancel, south chapel and aisle, north chapel and vestry. Decorated and Perpendicular style. Square-set buttresses. 5-stage west tower with octagonal vice turret and embattled parapet. Pointed west doorway. Belfry openings are double pointed with pierced stone lights except to the south face which has a similar single-light opening. String course continued as a label over the openings. Nave and aisle windows are generally of 3 or (-lights under square or pointed heads with Perpendicular tracery. East chancel window of 5-lights.

Internal features; 4-bay south arcade with pointed arches of 2-chamfered orders dying into elongated octagonal piers. Similar 2 bay north arcade. Pointed tower and chancel arches. Chancel and south chapel have segmental pointed barrel roofs, Nave has collar-truss roof. Aisles have lean-to roofs. C20 octagonal marble font. (F. P. Pitfield, Dorset Parish Churches A-D, 1981, p,125-128. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.121)

Listing NGR: ST8748606969

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 103303

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 121
Pitfield, FP , Dorset Parish Churches, (1981), 125-128

End of official listing