CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1110192
Date first listed:
16-Aug-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110192.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-May-2021 at 08:31:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Iwerne Minster
National Grid Reference:
ST 86834 14465

Details

ST 8614 IWERNE MINSTER CHURCH ROAD (North Side)

10/132 Church of St Mary 16-8-60 GV I

Parish church, north aisle and nave of mid C12 origin, south aisle arcade late C12, north transept C13 (though possibly remodelling C12 work), tower, south aisle, south porch and chancel C14, some C15 refenestration, north vestry and restoration 1870, further restoration and south chapel 1880. A building of considerable archaeological complexity. 1870 work by T H Wyatt, 1880 work by Pearson. Ashlar, banded flint and ashlar, chequer work flint and sqared rubble with ashlar dressings. Tiled and stone-slated roofs with stone copings. Plan: nave; chancel; north and south aisles; west tower; south chapel; north transept; south porch; north vestry. West tower of 2 stages surmounted by one of the few medieval spires in Dorset. It has square set buttresses and an embattled parapet supported by a corbel table. Moulded, pointed west door with lancet above and similar lancets to north and south walls. Belfrey stage has pointed, 2-light, perpendicular tracery windows. North aisle has pointed C14 windows of one and 2 lights flanking a central square-headed, 5-light C15 window. The north transept has 2 C12 round-headed lights, possibly reset. Vestry has round headed loops. East chancel window of 5 lights under pointed head with C19 curvilinear tracery. North and south chancel windows are C14 of 2-lights under pointed heads, those to the south being restored. South chapel has pointed C19 3-light east window with shafted jambs and head with quatrefoil in roundel. The south windows are C19, pointed, of 2 lights with returned labels. Diagonal chapel buttress contains niche with C19 sculpture of St George. Chapel doorway has pointed, trefoiled head and shafted jambs. Over is a crochetted, pitched label continuous with the string course. Left is a 3-light C19 window with pointed head and curvilinear tracery. South aisle has has 3-light, square headed C15 window. Parapetted porch with segmental- pointed arch and moulded pointed inner doorway. Nave has clearstorey of single light windows and C14 2-light east window.

Internal features: mid C12 north arcade of 3 bays with round arches of 2 plain orders on round piers with scalloped capitals; late C12 3 bay south arcade with pointed arches, much altered; C12 round north aisle to transept arch; segmented pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders; pointed tower arch of 3 chamfered orders; north transept has shafted rear arch with stiff-leaf capital; C15 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels; C17 pulpit with panelled sides restored; 4 bay C19 crown-post nave roof; C19 waggon roof to chancel; C19 collar-truss roof to north transept; flat, ribbed boarded roofs to aisles; south chapel has lierne vault springing from carved corbels; C17 wall monument to Robert Fry and family; other fittings largely C19. (RCHM, Dorset, vol.IV, p.36-8, no. 1. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.138-9).

Listing NGR: ST8683314465

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
103222
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Royal Commission on Historic Monuments; Inventory of Dorset Vol 4, (1972), 36-38
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 1380139

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04035/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Fitzgerald. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].