CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1110271
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110271.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Mar-2021 at 12:52:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Durweston
National Grid Reference:
ST 85873 08523

Details

ST 80 NE DURWESTON CHURCH ROAD

6/23 Church of St Nicholas 14-7-55 GV II*

Parish church, C15 west tower, main body of church 1846, north vestries, organ chamber and extension of chancel 1913/14. 1846 work by Hardwick for Baron Portman, 1913/14 work by Green of Blandford for Viscount Portman. Tower of greensand ashlar, main body of church of chequered flint and squared greens and blocks. Tiled roofs with stone-slate verges and end stone copings. West tower of 3 stages with plinth divided by weathered strings, the parapet string bearing gargoyles. It has a rectangular north vice turret with rectangular loops and diagonal buttresses of 4 weathered stages. Southern buttress has pointed niche. 15 west doorway with 4-centred, moulded head and label with carved, square stops. Above is a 3-light, pointed window with Perpendicular tracery and stopped label. Niches to first and second stage of south wall and second stage-of west wall. 2-light belfry windows with Perpendicular tracery under pointed heads with labels. Embattled parapet with crocketted finials, some of which have recently been taken down. South aisle has 2 square-headed, Perpendicular tracery windows of 2 lights to west of porch and 3 lights to east. East aisle wall has 2-light perpendicular tracery window under pointed head. Eastern north and south chancel windows are of 2-lights under pointed heads with quatrefoils. South wall has paired lancets with labels with head stops. East chancel window of 5 lights and idiosyncratic perpendicular tracery under 2-centred head. North nave wall has 3 lancets and to the west, a 2-light pointed head window with label. The 1913/14 range has square-headed Perpendicular windows and a 4-centred doorway. Gabled south porch. South door has chamfered 4-centred head, reset, with black letter inscriptions dated 1455.

Interior features. 5 bay pointed arch arcade of 2 chamfered orders springing from octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases. Pointed, moulded chancel arch with attached respond shafts with capitals and bases. Pointed tower arch of 2 hollow chamfered orders dying into responds. Arch braced collar nave roof divided into sub bays. Principals spring from corbels. Barrel-vaulted chancel roof with central, carved angel bosses. Aisle has tie-beam and king-post roof. Over south door is reset medieval sculpture of farrier said to depict St Elio. Tapering octagonal C12 font on octagonal stem on square base. Base cut to take four detached shafts. Various C18, C19 and C20 monuments. C19 cusped, ogee-headed piscina. C19 glass. Other features C19/C20. (RCHM, Dorset, vol. III, pp 89-91, no. 1. Newman, J and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England, Dorset, Penguin, 1972, p 191. Anne Hosford, The Parish Church of Durweston and Bryanston, 1978.

Listing NGR: ST8587308523

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
103111
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 89-91
Hosford, A, The Parish Church of Durweston and Bryanston, (1978)
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 191

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06665/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Kingsland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].