This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST SIMON AND ST JUDE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST SIMON AND ST JUDE

List entry Number: 1110302

Location

CHURCH OF ST SIMON AND ST JUDE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Gillingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 102974

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 82 NW GILLINGHAM MILTON-ON-STOUR

3/135 Church of St Simon and St Jude

- II

Chapel of Ease, 1868 by Slater and Carpenter. Coursed, squared rubble with gable-ended, tiled roof with stone copings. Plan: nave, apsidal chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, north vestry/organ chamber. Generally in the early 'Decorated' style. West tower: 3 stages with broach spire, sqaure set buttresses and southern vice; 2-centred west window with geometric tracery and label with headstops; small lancets to second stage; third stage has paired lancets with roll-mouldings and pierced stone panels; spire bears quatrefoils. Aisles have trefoiled, paired lancets. East and west aisle windows have 2-centred heads and plate tracery. Chancel has lancets with trefoiled heads and labels with head-stops. Gabled porch with 2-centred moulded arch and shafted jambs with carved capitals. Inner doorway is roll-moulded and has a door with scrolled, wrought-iron hinges. External vice door similar. Internal features: 3-bay arcades with 2-centred heads of 2-chamfered orders and round piers with carved capitals; 2-centred chancel arch with shafted jambs having carved capitals and label with head-stops over; 2-centred, moulded tower arch with flat soffit and semi-pilasters with carved capital to jambs; nave roof has arch braced collar trusses springing from corbels, queenposts with windbracing to upper purlins and 2 sets of windbraced purlins; chancel has, ribbed, boarded barrel-vault roof; boarded aisle roofs; roofs are painted with fleurons and other decoration; arcaded stone pulpit with marble shafts dated 1887; round font with clustered shafts; pews with carved bench ends; C19/C20 glass. (Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings of England; Dorset, Penguin 1972, p 295).

Listing NGR: ST8016628666

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 295

National Grid Reference: ST 80166 28666

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110302 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2017 at 03:04:48.

End of official listing