This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1110393

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Todber

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Aug-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 102800

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/12/2011

ST 72 SE 2/170 16.8.60

TODBER Church of St Andrew

(Formerly listed as Church of Unknown Dedication)

II

Parish church, C15 origin but almost entirely rebuilt 1879. 1879 work for Elizabeth Marchioness of Westminster. Squared, coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. Tiled, gable-ended roofs, with stone copings. Plan: nave, chancel, south tower, north vestry. Largely Perpendicular in style. South tower: 2 stage of medieval origin; weathered string course; diagonal buttresses to first stage; saddleback roof; rectangular bell openings; chamfered, 2-centred door. Mainly square headed, Perpendicular tracery windows of 2 and 3 lights, that to north chancel wall of C15 origin. North nave and vestry have some paired lancets. 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery under a 2-centred head. 2-centred head vestry door. Octagonal ashlar stack to coping between nave and chancel. Interior features: 2- centred chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders and continuous jambs; C15 reset trefoiled piscina; restored C17 panelled pulpit, sounding- board reset as reredos; arch braced, collar-truss nave roof supported on corbels; boarded, barrel-vault chancel roof; turned communion rails; octagonal recut C15 font on moulded base; trefoiled head vestry fireplace; some early glass. RCHM, Dorset, vol IV, p 114, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings of England: Dorset, Penguin, 1972, p 423/4.

Listing NGR: ST7997720050

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1972), 114
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 423-424

National Grid Reference: ST7998020048

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110393 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2017 at 05:07:06.

End of official listing