This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF UNKNOWN DEDICATION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF UNKNOWN DEDICATION

List entry Number: 1110395

Location

CHURCH OF UNKNOWN DEDICATION

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: West Orchard

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Aug-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 102807

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 81 NW WEST ORCHARD WEST ORCHARD VILLAGE

5/177 Church of Unknown 16.8.60 Dedication

GV II

Parish Church, chancel late C15, rest 1876. 1876 work by T H Wyatt. Squared, dressed greensand. Gabled, tiled roof with stone copings and finials, west bell-cote. C15 work 'Perpendicular' in style, 1876 work part 'Perpendicular' and part 'Decorated'. Plan: nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch and north vestry. 1876 fenestration mainly of 2 lights with 2-centred heads and flowing or panel tracery with returned labels. Some lancets. C15 east window of 3 lights under square head with relieving arch; panel tracery. 2 lancets with returned labels to the south. South porch has 2-centred moulded head and continuously moulded jambs. Inner door is 2-centred with continuously moulded jambs and a returned label. A door from the porch to the south aisle has a square moulded head and jambs. Interior features: 2 bays, 2-centred, moulded arcades on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases; 2-centred moulded chancel arch on half- piers with moulded capitals and bases; C19 octagonal font with quatrefoil panels on moulded octagonal pier; stone nave/chancel dividing wall with integral stone pulpit bearing trefoil headed panels; ribbed C19 chancel roof with carved bosses springing from dentilled and moulded wall-plate; C19 arch braced collar beam roof with king posts; other fittings C19. In the churchyard is the round bowl of a C12 font. RCHM, Dorset, vol IV, p 115, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The Buildings of England: Dorset, Penguin, 1972, p 446.

Listing NGR: ST8236816435

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1972), 115
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 446

National Grid Reference: ST 82368 16435

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110395 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 07:58:22.

End of official listing