PARISH CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A'BECKETT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1110465
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Mar-1984
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A'BECKETT, HOLEBROOK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A'BECKETT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110465.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2019 at 02:04:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST THOMAS A'BECKETT, HOLEBROOK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
North Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Lydlinch
National Grid Reference:
ST 74240 13364

Details

In the entry for LYDLINCH HOLBROOK LANE (west) Table tomb to anonymous lady, 3m south of south porch of St Thomas A' Beckett's Church

The map item reference shall be amended to read:- 4/56

------------------------------------

LYDLINCH HOLBROOK LANE (WEST) ST 71 SW 4/56 Parish Church of St Thomas A'Becket (formerly listed as Church of St Thomas of Canterbury) 4.10.60 II* Parish Church, C 15 west tower, nave and chancel, C16 north aisle and south porch, early C 19 north vestry, north aisle and general restoration, further restoration 1875. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings; slated, gable-ended roof to nave, tiled gable ended roof to chancel. Plan: Nave with west tower, south porch and north aisle, Chancel with vestry. Mainly in perpendicular style. West tower of 3 stages separated by string courses having plinth,diagonal buttresses, a north east rectangular vice turret with loops and an embattled parapet with finials. Upper string course bears gargoyles. West door has 4-centred moulded head with continuously moulded jambs. Above is a 3-light window with panel tracery under a 2-centred head with returned label. 2nd stage has a single west lancet and small quatrefoil east. In the third stage each side has 2-light, panel tracery windows with returned labels. Clock faces to north and east. East chancel window of 3-lights with panel tracery under a two centred arch. North and south chancel windows of 2-lights under square heads. The nave has 2 C19, 3-light, panel tracery windows under 2-centred heads and a single light window right. The north wall of the north aisle has 2 3- light square headed windows and the west wall has a C16 2-light window under a square head. The south porch is gabled with a slated roof and bears a churchwarden's inscription dated 1753 with a sundial above. The arch has a moulded 4-centred head with continuous jambs. External square set buttresses to south nave wall and north aisle wall. Internally there is a 2 bay nave arcade with chamfered 4-centred arches and octagonal centre pier. Tower arch is 2-centred with double casement moulding and continuous jambs. Chancel arch is 2-centred and has a moulded tie-bearing a cross C 19 gallery to rear of nave with eusped rectangular panelling. Roofs- nave has tie beam trusses with vertical tracery, chancel has wagon roof and north aisle has sloping plastered ceiling. South door of nailed planks on wrought iron strap hinges. Font: late C12 with square bowl with decorated panels on large central shaft with small corner shafts on chamfered base. Pews and pulpit C19. Some reset early glass. Monuments: Floor slab dated 1661, wall tablets of C18, C19, and C20 "RCHM, Dorset, Vol III", p 137, no 1. Newman J amd Pevsner N. "The Buildings of England, Dorset" Penguin 1972, p 258.



Listing NGR: ST7424013364

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
102557
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 137
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 258

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/15289/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Gibson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].