CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1110493

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110493 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 18:32:04.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Hazelbury Bryan

National Grid Reference: ST 75325 08287

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAZELBURY BRYAN DROOP ST 70 NE 9/20 Church of St Mary and St James 4.10.60 G.V. I Parish church. Mainly C15, chancel rebuilt in 1827 and general restoration 1895 and early C20. C15 work for the de Bryan family. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. Stone slate roofs to nave and north aisle, tiled roof to chancel, other roofs of lead. Gable ends. Plan: Chancel, South Chapel, Nave, North and South Aisles, West Tower and South Porch. West Tower of 4 stages with rectangular vice turret and to the north-east, 6 string courses and diagonal buttresses. First stage has doorway with 2-centred arch and continuously moulded jambs in square surround. 2nd stage has 4-light cinqufoiled panelled tracery window under 2 centred head with label continuous with string course. Flanking are 2 ogee headed cinqufoiled niches with crocketted finials. 3rd stage has clock to west, 4th stage has 4 windows of 2 trefoiled lights, mullioned and transomed with panelled tracery and 2-centred arches. Embattled parapet with corner crocketted finials. Southern facade. 2 windows left of porch have 2-centred, 2 light-windows with cinqufoiled cusping and panelled tracery. To right are 2 flat pointed windows of 2 cinqufoiled lights with labels. To right is a 2-centred door with continuously moulded jambs. South chancel window is of 2- cinqufoiled lights with quatrefoil;pointed moulded head with label. South aisle and chapel have embattled parapets with string course and gargoyles. Embattled south porch has 2-centred doorway with continuously moulded jambs and label, string course with gargoyles. Chancel has E window of 3 cinqufoiled lights under 2- centred head with label with head stops.

North aisle has 2-centred, 3-cinqufoiled light windows with panelled tracery and labels with head stops. Internal:4 bay north and south nave arcades with moulded 2-centred arches, 2-centred, moulded chancel arch. Tower arch has blind panelled tracery to archivolt. 4 centred moulded chapel arch. Chancel has C15 piscina with reset window tracery and table on carved head corbel below. North aisle has canopied niches with figures depicting the Annunciation by Sir Charles Nicholson of 1919 as is the nearby Calvary filling a reconstructed sedilia. South aisle spandrals bear painted inscriptions. Pulpit by Ben Lidford, dated 1782. 2 finely carved 'decorated' corbels reset in south chapel. Nave and north aisle have C15 wagon roofs. South aisle shapel and porch have flat roofs with moulded beams. Chancel has C19 ribbed plaster barrel-vault roof. Late C12 octagonal font of Purbeck marble with blind panels on cylindrical pedestal surrounded by eight shafts on octagonal base. "RCBM, Dorset, vol III" p 105 - 107, no 1. Munro, James and Woolley, Maj T G ' The Parish Church of St Mary and St James, Hazelbury Bryan: revised 1968.



Listing NGR: ST7532008289

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 102520

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 105-107
Munro, J, Woolley, T J, The Parish Church of St Mary and St James Hazelbury Bryan, (1968)

End of official listing