This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DASHWOOD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DASHWOOD

List entry Number: 1110521

Location

DASHWOOD, PENNY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sturminster Newton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 102482

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 7814 STURMINSTER NEWTON PENNY STREET (SOUTH SIDE)

8/183 Dashwood

G.V. II

School, now house. Probably 1835 though RCHM give late C18 or early C19. Ashlar, tiled roof with gable ends, stone dressings, ashlar stacks with brick flues. West facade: single storey, 4 window range. To the left a cross-wing presents a gable to the front. This gable has a 3-light ashlar mullioned and transomed window, each light having a 4-centred head. Above is a lancet opening with a 2-centred head containing stone flag louvres. Remaining windows are probably C20 wooden 2-light square windows with pointed heads to the lights under concrete lintels. Horizontal glazing bars. To the right of the cross-wing is a high 2-centred stone arch with a door under a 4-centred arch beneath. This is flanked to the right by a stone buttress. Between the 2 righthand window is a projecting stone stack with brick flue of 3 stages. The flue is set diagonally and has a moulded capping. The buttressed north wall forms a prominent feature in Penny Street. Probably the National School mentioned by Hutchins as being built in 1835. Hutchins, John "The History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset", Third ed. 1868, reprint, E.P. 1975. Vol iv, p 345. "RCHM, Dorset, Vol III", HMSO, 1970, p 279, no 26.



Listing NGR: ST7882713990

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 279
Hutchins, J, The History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset, (1868), 345

National Grid Reference: ST 78850 14008

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110521 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 08:25:45.

End of official listing