RIVERSIDE. RIVERSIDE LODGE. RIVERSIDE WORKS.

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1110647

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Oct-1973

Statutory Address: RIVERSIDE. RIVERSIDE LODGE. RIVERSIDE WORKS., WESTBURY

Map

Ordnance survey map of RIVERSIDE. RIVERSIDE LODGE. RIVERSIDE WORKS.
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110647 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 23:23:54.

Location

Statutory Address: RIVERSIDE. RIVERSIDE LODGE. RIVERSIDE WORKS., WESTBURY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Sherborne

National Grid Reference: ST 63556 15925

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTBURY 1. 1625 (East Side) Riverside. Riverside Lodge (Formerly listed as Cottage adjoining Riverside), Riverside Works. ST 6315 6/252 28.11.50. II* 2. Dwelling house which was originally the residence of John Scharrier and William Willmott, the former responsible for founding the silk industry in Sherborne about the year 1753 which remained the town's principal industry for almost 200 years. C18, probably post-1755. 2 storeys with taller gabled bay at either end; formerly a symmetrical composition but the right hand bay, comprising Riverside Lodge, had fenestration added to it in 1915. 5 window bays to road side of Riverside House, with windowless gable at left hand end. 2 gabled dormers. Colour-washed rendered front. Sash window with altered glazing bars. Good doorcase with flusted frieze and dentil pediment. Garden front has 2 splayed bays with fluted friezes and pear-drop cornices. On right hand side of road front is Riverside Lodge which has a pebble dash front. 2 storeys and attic. 1 window bay. 2-light casement window on second floor, 3-light casement on first floor and 4-light casement on ground floor. Modern porch. The Riverside Works is a long stone range of C18 date, altered C19. The segmental stone arches originally spanning the mill-stream are visible at ground floor level. The Mill Buildings probably date from 1755; in that year, John Scharrer, the founder of the silk mill in Sherborne, was granted permission to pull down the existing buildings on his plot and to erect others in their stead for the better carrying on his business of throwing. The building is important for its historical interest. [See G H D Pitman, "Exploring Sherborne," and Henry Symonds, "The Silk Industry in Wessex"].

Listing NGR: ST6355615925

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 104172

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pitman, G H D , Exploring Sherborne
Symonds, H, The Silk Industry in Wessex

End of official listing