WEST MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1110656

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1979

Statutory Address: WEST MILL, WEST MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110656 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 05:50:33.

Location

Statutory Address: WEST MILL, WEST MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Sherborne

National Grid Reference: ST 63174 15387

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following entry shall be added:

WEST MILL LANE 1. 1625 West Mill ST 6315 6/373 II 2. Early C18 replacing earlier mill. Worked commercially until 1950's. The only surviving mill in Sherborne. Sits directly on the river Yeo. Small square 2 storey building in hamstone rubble. 2 windows to west. Pit wheel and gable light to south. Raised door (to upper floor) and window above blocked doorway to east. North wall rebuilt. Wooden lintels. New roof. Former miller's house to north removed recently. To north-west is a very large late C19 bread oven with brick lined vault, which was formerly behind the miller's house but is all that survives of the building. Surviving machinery includes the pit-wheel (1877), a considerable amount of gearing and various mill-wheels etc. Outside to east is a pulley wheel formerly to take drive from a steam-engine when the river was sluggish. Breakwater for pit wheel and sluice walls probably repaired 1877. The mill has recently (Feb 1979) been restored by the boys of Sherborne School who intend to return it to use as a mill with exhibition space etc to north.

Listing NGR: ST6317415387

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 104192

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing