DIGBY MAUSOLEUM IN SHERBORNE CEMETERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1110703

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1973

Statutory Address: DIGBY MAUSOLEUM IN SHERBORNE CEMETERY, LENTHAY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of DIGBY MAUSOLEUM IN SHERBORNE CEMETERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110703 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 06:26:12.

Location

Statutory Address: DIGBY MAUSOLEUM IN SHERBORNE CEMETERY, LENTHAY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Sherborne

National Grid Reference: ST 63010 16079

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LENTHAY ROAD 1. 1625 (North-West Side) Digby Mausoleum in Sherborne Cemetery ST 6316 5/354 II 2. Shown in London Exhibition of 1862; architect, William Slater. Built by George Wingfield Digby for his family. Fine ashlar, stone slate roof. Richly and delicately ornamented. North East end rounded; 3 windows. 4 windows to North West and South East facing sides. Carved stone bracket eaves with toothed course. Stone course below windows. Lancet windows in reveals behind lancet openings ornamented with short columns with carved capitlas. In north-west facing side, metal door at right hand end; square- headed reveals; lintel supported by coloured marble columns with carved heads; carved chamfers; stepped and moulded plinth. Entrance in south-west end; in gable, rose window flanked and surmounted by carved circular medallions. Wide pointed entrance arch with stepped sides; first and third steps embellished by carvings of leaves and birds; in the tympanum a relief of the Lord's Resurrection by Redfern. Steps of arch supported by marble columns of different colours [marble quarried in different European quarries]. 6 steps ascend to doorway. Entrance to Mausoleum enclosed by railings. [See also G H D Pitman, "Exploring Sherborne," p58].

Listing NGR: ST6301016079

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 104017

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pitman, G H D , Exploring Sherborne58

End of official listing