This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PREMISES OCCUPIED BY C M HUNT AND SONS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PREMISES OCCUPIED BY C M HUNT AND SONS

List entry Number: 1110704

Location

PREMISES OCCUPIED BY C M HUNT AND SONS, LONG STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sherborne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 104019

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LONG STREET 1. 1625 (North West Side) Premises occupied by C M Hunt and Sons ST 6316 1/357 II GV 2. Late C19 front; in 1881 the Sherborne Coffee Tavern Company Limited was opened here; indications of older construction within; at one time the building may have been connected with Tudor Rose. Tall front of 2 storeys, 3 window bays. Tile gabled roof. Rendered front. Sash windows, without glazing bars. Original tavern front on ground floor; 2 windows flanked by narrow circular columns with flat canopy with gablets over. Round- headed, entrance with keystone before passage at right hand end, plain fanlight, door with 3 tall round-headed panels. Other doors comprise one of 6 panels with upper 4 panels glazed and one ledged door with ornamental iron hinges. Early C19 doorway with fluted architrave framed and angle block within. [See G H D Pitman, "Exploring Sherborne," p59].

Premises occupied by Henry Durrant Antiques, premises occupied by Bernard of Mayfair, premises occupied by C M Hunt and Sons, Tudor Rose, St John's, Building adjoining St John's to east, Premises occupied by The China Gallery and premises occupied by Child's Garage form a group.

Listing NGR: ST6393216544

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pitman, G H D , Exploring Sherborne59

National Grid Reference: ST 63932 16544

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110704 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 10:45:17.

End of official listing