SCHOOL ROOM TO SOUTH OF CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1110709

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1973

Statutory Address: SCHOOL ROOM TO SOUTH OF CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL, LONG STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCHOOL ROOM TO SOUTH OF CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110709 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 10:16:35.

Location

Statutory Address: SCHOOL ROOM TO SOUTH OF CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL, LONG STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Sherborne

National Grid Reference: ST 64022 16589

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LONG STREET 1. 1625 (North-West Side) School Room to south of Congregational Chapel ST 6416 2/412 II GV 2. 1851 circa (site bought 1851). Rectangular block of one storey and basement. Tile gabled roof. Stone walls. Gothic detail. In west front from north to south, a gable with finial at north end has two 2-centred headed windows below and one window above. To south again a gabled porch with two-centred headed entrance; buttresses. To south of porch, upper floor has 5 rectangular windows of 2-lights with pierced quatrefoils or diamonds over; dripmoulds. Lower floor or basement has plain 2-light rectangular windows. Branch spirelet on roof. In front to Long Street, a tall ornate Gothic window of 4 cusped lights and flowing tracery rises up with gable. To right hand of it, a plain two-centred headed doorway accessible from another doorway in a high wall behind an external stair which rises diagonally across the front of the building to a porch on the upper level at left hand end. Small gate at entrance to stair has uprights with fleur-de-lys finials.

Premises occupied by Mr E J T Rogers, Congregational Chapel, Dwarf wall, railings and gates to Congregational Chapel, School room to south of Congregational Chapel, Cromwell, Belmont, Wistaria House and Dwarf walls and railings and Thorn Bank form a group.

Listing NGR: ST6402216589

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 104027

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing