OLD BANK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1110719

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1950

Statutory Address: OLD BANK HOUSE, LONG STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD BANK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110719 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 16:28:27.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD BANK HOUSE, LONG STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Sherborne

National Grid Reference: ST 63980 16538

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LONG STREET 1. 1625 (South-East side) Old Bank House ST 6316 1/153 28.11.50. II* GV 2. This adjoins The National Provincial Bank and is a continuation of the same frontage. C16 to early C17 structure with front and rear elevations in early C19 Gothic-Revival style. 3 storey stucco front with pebble dash plinth and pierced parapet with Gothic arcading. Window lights with 4-centred heads. On second floor, two 2-lights windows. On first floor, splayed 5-light oriel window to left hand with castellated parapet; oversailing coursed and carved spandrels below cill. On ground floor, doorway with four-centred moulded arch with carving in spandrels and hoodmould. Recesses with cast-iron Gothic scrapers before them. To left of doorway, 5-light window with dripmould; 4-light window to right of doorway. Interior has moulded ceiling beams and C17 staircase. Rear elevation has Gothic detail of similar early C19 style. Western part covered by a rear wing; 2 bays to east. First bay has 2-light window on second floor, 3-light French casement with balcony on first floor and 3-light window on ground floor. Second bay has 2-light windows and a Gothic doorway on ground floor. The original building of the Sherborne and Dorsetshire Bank which was established mid C18 and amalgamated in 1843 with the National Provincial Bank of England. (See G H D Pitman, "Exploring Sherborne" p 61).

Premises occupied by Mr Pearson, Rose Cottage, former Castle Hotel, The Bank House, premises occupied by The National Westminster Bank, Old Bank House, and Abbot's Litten form a group with the timber framed structure to the rear of No 87 Cheap Street.

Listing NGR: ST6398016538

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 104048

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pitman, G H D , Exploring Sherborne61

End of official listing