This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER STABLE BLOCK BEHIND GREENHILL COURT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER STABLE BLOCK BEHIND GREENHILL COURT

List entry Number: 1110725

Location

FORMER STABLE BLOCK BEHIND GREENHILL COURT, GREENHILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sherborne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 103970

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREENHILL 1. 1625 (North Side) Former Stable Block behind Greenhill Court ST 6516 1/102 28.11.50. II 2. Plain rectangular stone building incorporating in its south east side four 2-light C15 stone windows with cusped heads to lights. These are probably from the New Inn built by Abbot Ramsam about 1483 for the purpose of its sharing some of the burden of responsibility of the Abbey Guest Hall [see map reference 1/4]. The New Inn was demolished about 1842 when the present terrace of houses known as Greenhill Court was built on the same site. It is unlikely that the windows in this outbuilding came from the demolished St Thomas-a-Becket Chapel (which once stood nearly at the top end of Upper Street); by about 1750 only some ruins of this Chapel were still standing and the outbuilding is not apparently of sufficiently early structure to tie in with this evidence [see J Fowler, "Medieval Sherborne"].

Listing NGR: ST6366016956

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Fowler, J, Medieval Sherborne

National Grid Reference: ST 63660 16956

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110725 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 02:36:25.

End of official listing