FORMER CHURCH HOUSE (COMPRISES PREMISES OCCUPIED BY W WARR, TOBBACONIST PREMISES OCCUPIED BY PEDLEY AND WHITE PREMISES OCCUPIED BY JOHN ISAACS)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1110736

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1950

Statutory Address: FORMER CHURCH HOUSE (COMPRISES PREMISES OCCUPIED BY W WARR, TOBBACONIST PREMISES OCCUPIED BY PEDLEY AND WHITE PREMISES OCCUPIED BY JOHN ISAACS), HALF MOON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CHURCH HOUSE (COMPRISES PREMISES OCCUPIED BY W WARR, TOBBACONIST PREMISES OCCUPIED BY PEDLEY AND WHITE PREMISES OCCUPIED BY JOHN ISAACS)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110736 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 17:53:13.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER CHURCH HOUSE (COMPRISES PREMISES OCCUPIED BY W WARR, TOBBACONIST PREMISES OCCUPIED BY PEDLEY AND WHITE PREMISES OCCUPIED BY JOHN ISAACS), HALF MOON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Sherborne

National Grid Reference: ST 63865 16478

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HALF MOON STREET 1. 1625 (North-west Side) Former Church House (Comprises: Premises occupied by W Warr, Tobacconist Premises occupied by Pedley and White Premises occupied by John Isaacs) ST 6316 1/118 28.11.50. II* GV 2. Built 1530-34 by the Churchwardens of All Hallows Parish as a Church House. 2 storey stone ashlar range with a series of 4-light stone mullioned casements on the first floor, with 3 centred or semi-circular heads to lights; 2 sashes at west end. Undulating stringcourse below first floor windows. The building originally comprised a Church Hall on the first floor and a kitchen and some tenements on the ground floor. During the sixteenth century, the hall was used for church matters, and also hired for public meetings, marriages and for the performance of plays. There is a date-stone on the building, upside-down, with tile date 1570, which probably records the shoring up of the walls which took place at that time. In 1693, the lease was taken over by the Masters and Brethren of the Almshouse, and in 1701, the whole building was converted into 3 tenements; the date-stone "1701" with initials W S A which is near the east end is a reference to the tenancy of William Samson, apothecary, which began in that year. There are still 3 shops to the ground floor. W Warr's premises has, from left to right, a 2-light plate-glass window, a doorway with C18 pedimented hood, a sash window a doorway with slightly pointed head, chamfered jambs and a 6-panelled door, and, at right hand end, a 4-panes wide sash window. Pedle's and White premises have a modern shop front, but, at right hand end, have a 6-panelled door in architrave frame. The ground floor of John Isaac's premises has a projecting front with tile penthouse and half-glazed panelled door, circa 1700. Roof: at west end of stone slates, the centre and east end of plaintiles. (See J Fowler "Medieval Sherborne" pp 284-293).

Former Church House and Public Weighbridge House form a group with the Hospital of Saints John the Baptist and John the Evangelist and with the Abbey Church of St Mary in Abbey Close. Also forms a group to the right with Saints John Building, Cheap Street.

Listing NGR: ST6386516478

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 103990

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fowler, J, Medieval Sherborne284-293

End of official listing