NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1110785

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Oct-1973

Statutory Address: NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, 50, CHEAP STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110785 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 08:58:02.

Location

Statutory Address: NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, 50, CHEAP STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Sherborne

National Grid Reference: ST 63834 16648

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHEAP STREET 1. 1625 (South West Side) No 51) [National Westminster Bank] (Formerly listed as Snack Bar and G Ford's Shop) ST 6316 1/51 28.11.50. II GV 2. Corner block on south side of Abbey Road. Originally a late medieval timber- framed building which was extensively restored in 1965. Facing Cheap Street is a 3 storey gable end, oversailing at 1st floor level, the side walls having stone corbels. 2 upper floors have modern timber- framing exposed. 4-light casements to lst floor, 1-light window above. Modern 4-light bank windows inserted on ground floor. One moulded post with curved brace on left hand side. Front facing Abbey Road is of stone rubble. 2 storey, 3 window front. Tile roof. Wood casements to 1st floor. Ground floor has from left to right hand 1 2-light window, modern segmental headed doorway with modern ledged and nail studded door, and a 4-light window. Internally, an original doorway remains on the south side; a fireplace and a lst-floor 2-light window at the south end of the Cheap Street front were also both discovered during the 1965 restoration. This building was at one time the Tuck Shop used by Sherborne School and was known by the name of Noah's Ark.

Nos 2 to 30 (even) and Nos 34 to 50 (even) form a group.

Listing NGR: ST6383416648

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 103915

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing