This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MEDLYCOTT BUILDING AT SHERBORNE SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MEDLYCOTT BUILDING AT SHERBORNE SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1110791

Location

MEDLYCOTT BUILDING AT SHERBORNE SCHOOL, ABBEY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sherborne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 103834

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ABBEY ROAD 1. 1625 (South East Side) Medlycott Building at Sherborne School ST 6316 1/282 II GV 2. 1955. 2-storey, 3 bay building. Stone slate roof. Stone coping to gables. Stone front; stringcourse. Front facing towards Abbey: 6-light stone mullioned windows, both above and below in end bays; in centre, a 3-light window on first floor above a gabled porch. 4-centred doorway to porch; carved spandrels; carved inscription in lintel 'Medlycott Building'; sunk date panel above. In gable end to quadrangle, a 6-light splayed bay extends upwards through both ground and first floors. Front facing towards Tower: articulation as in opposite side, except for doorway which has a four-centred head and carved spandrels.

The following buildings of Sherborne School surround the greens immediately to the north of the Abbey Church of St Mary and form a group with themselves and with the Abbey Church of St Mary.

Listing NGR: ST6378716577

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 63787 16577

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110791 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:24:49.

End of official listing