OAK ROOM AT SHERBORNE SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1110793
Date first listed:
28-Nov-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Oct-1973
Statutory Address:
OAK ROOM AT SHERBORNE SCHOOL, ABBEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OAK ROOM AT SHERBORNE SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110793 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 02:38:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
OAK ROOM AT SHERBORNE SCHOOL, ABBEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
West Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Sherborne
National Grid Reference:
ST 63841 16520

Details

1. ABBEY ROAD ROAD - 1625 (South East Side) Oak Room at Sherborne School (Formerly listed as Old Library) ST 6316 1/8 28.11.50. II* GV 2. This adjoins the Bell Building and was part of an extension dating from 1670. Part was demolished in 1835, when the Bell Buildings were erected. 2 storey; the upper floor formerly housed the library. West face is in slight recession from School House Dining Hall. Stone slate roof. Too 3-light stone mullioned windows above and three 2-light stone mullioned windows below. Tablet on this wall bears the inscription. "John Whetcombe ye elder Warden 1670".

The following buildings of Sherborne School surround the greens immediately to the north of the Abbey Church of St Mary and form a group with themselves and with the Abbey Church of St Mary.

Listing NGR: ST6384116520

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
103837
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14716/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alec Howard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].