DIGBY MEMORIAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1110826

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1973

Statutory Address: DIGBY MEMORIAL, ABBEY CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DIGBY MEMORIAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110826 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 12:49:02.

Location

Statutory Address: DIGBY MEMORIAL, ABBEY CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: West Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Sherborne

National Grid Reference: ST 63809 16454

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ABBEY CLOSE 1. 1625 Digby Memorial ST 6316 1/275 II GV 2. 1884. Ornate stone cross erected as a memorial toGeorge Digby Wingfield Digby to the design of R H Carpenter and Benjamin Ingelow. Stepped square base with tall circular pedestal at each corner, each supporting a bronze statuette; at South West to St Aldhelm, to North West to Bishop Roger, to North East to Abbot Bradford, to South East to Sir Walter Raleigh [statuettes by Miss Singer of Frome]. Between each pedestal, a carved relief; to the south, a bronze plaque bears the following inscription: "To Memory of George Digby Wingfield Digby of Sherborne Castle who upon succeeding to a noble inheritance made it his first care to complete the rest of the Abbey Church and after a life of generous beneficence died full of years beloved by all classes of the Community. This monument is erected by Public Subscription MDCCCLXXXIV". Above, an octagonal tier with arcading to each facet; above this, a tapering shaft ornamented profusely with buttresses and crockets and surmounted by a crucifix.

All the listed buildings in Abbey Close form a group with the east end of No 1 Finger Lane.

Listing NGR: ST6381016454

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 103814

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing