This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1110853



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Purleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-May-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 117425

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


PURLEIGH HOWE GREEN ROAD TL 80 SW (west side) 1/97 Mount Cottage ­ II House. C18, extended in C20. Timber framed, plastered and weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing NE, with central stack, forming a lobby-entrance. Lean-to extension to rear left, forming a catslide, and C20 flat-roofed 2-storey extension in rear right angle. C20 flat-roofed single-storey extension to rear of both. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 C19 casements. First floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 16 lights, with crown glass. Half-glazed late C19 door in C20 gabled porch. Weatherboarded to first-floor level, plastered above. 2 large wood-burning hearths back to back, of 0.23 metre brickwork. Transverse plain joists of vertical section, supported by C20 beam in left bay. Primary straight bracing. Good series of chisel-cut carpenter's assembly marks on studding of rear wall. Pegged and jointed hardwood frame. The court rolls record occupation of this messuage, with one acre, by John Johnson 13 October 1752, and by later occupants on 16 October 1780, 13 June 1813, 11 December 1837 and 6 December 1841. A modern shield on the front elevation is inscribed 1761; no documentary evidence is known relating to this date (Essex Record Office, D/DHR M114).

Listing NGR: TL8404601220

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 84046 01220


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110853 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 09:57:32.

End of official listing