MILL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1110855

Date first listed: 30-May-1986

Statutory Address: MILL HOUSE, MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110855 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 02:19:02.

Location

Statutory Address: MILL HOUSE, MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Purleigh

National Grid Reference: TL 83355 02116

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PURLEIGH MILL LANE TL 80 SW (east side) 1/101 Mill House GV II House. Late C18. Timber framed, weatherboarded with facade of red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. T-plan facing SW, with external stacks in both rear angles and at end of rear wing. Early C19 extension in left rear angle. 2 storeys. 4-window range of original sashes, some with crown glass, with flat brick arches over the ground-floor windows, and a blocked window over the central door. Flush 6-panel door, the top 2 panels glazed, with fluted pilasters, fluted frieze with paterae, and dentilled pediment. Moulded eaves cornice. Original stair with stick balusters. Chamfered axial beams in main range and rear wing, with elongated lamb's tongue stops. Exceptionally unaltered outside and inside. (See item 1/101). The court rolls of Le How manor first record this second tenement on the site on 12 March 1799, the first having been built by the same owner, Roger Cook, soon after March 1778. As a miller he appears to have built first a simple cottage for his own occupation, and within 20 years to have built this more fashionable house alongside for his own use, and to have let the original cottage (Essex Record Office, D/DU 377/5).

Listing NGR: TL8335502116

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 117429

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing