FOWLER'S FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1110866

Date first listed: 30-May-1986

Statutory Address: FOWLER'S FARMHOUSE, HONEY POT LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FOWLER'S FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110866 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 22:47:40.

Location

Statutory Address: FOWLER'S FARMHOUSE, HONEY POT LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Cold Norton

National Grid Reference: TQ 83956 99462

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLD NORTON HONEY POT LANE TQ 89 NW (east side) 4/11 Fowler's Farmhouse ­ II

House. C17, extended in C18/C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2 bays facing SW, with rear stack in left bay and service wing beyond, and C19 internal stack at right end. C18/C19 lean-to extension in rear right angle. Large C20 extension to left, connected to main building by single-storey link. One storey with attics. 2 C20 casements and 2 more in flat-roofed dormers. C20 door in link section. Gambrel roof at front, normal pitch at rear of main building and on service wing. In right bay, chamfered axial beam (mutilated at right end, stops at other end concealed by inserted stair), with plain joists of large vertical section to rear of it, and chamfered joists of vertical section with lamb's tongue stops in front of it (2 replaced), jointed to beam with soffit tenons with diminished haunches. In left bay, chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops, joist renewed. Clasped purlin roof, with some re-used smoke-blackened rafters from a medieval hall. 2 wood-burning hearths in left stack, the front hearth reduced for a C20 grate, the rear hearth adapted to a stove. The name derives from John Fowler, who held a messuage and 60 acres in 1532. By 1701 the holding had been increased to 70 acres, including land in the parish of North Fambridge.

Listing NGR: TQ8395699462

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 117374

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing