FORMER CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1110874

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1953

Statutory Address: FORMER CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, LOWER BURNHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110874 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 15:43:48.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, LOWER BURNHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Latchingdon

National Grid Reference: TQ 88772 98722

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LATCHINGDON LOWER BURNHAM ROAD To 89 NE (north side) 5/34 Former Church of St. 11.53 Michael ­ II

Redundant church, converted to a house. Mainly late C14 and early C17, altered in C18, C19 and C20. Walls of Kentish ragstone rubble and red brick in English bond, with dressings of limestone, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Chancel demolished and walled off c.1856. S wall of Nave and S porch late C14. Most of N wall rebuilt 1618, W wall refaced in C18. 8 brick buttresses of various dates, C17 to C19. Most of the N wall is of brick, dated by inscriptions, with a roll-moulding near the top; it has a contemporary window of 4 round-headed lights in a square head, the mullions restored, and to W of it a C20 doorway in a C17 aperture, with 4-centred rear-arch. At the W end of this wall about 2 metres of C14 rubble walling remains. The south wall is mainly late C14, incorporating a fragment of late C13 construction E of the S doorway. There are 2 windows. The eastern is late C14, of 2 cinquefoiled lights with recessed spandrels in a square head, with a moulded label; the cill has been raised at various dates, and the jambs and mullion are plastered. The western, similar originally, has been blocked and reduced in the C17 to a simple chamfered loop. Between them is the late C14 S doorway with jambs and 2-centred arch chamfered in 2 orders. The SW corner is integrated with the buttress, early C17. The W wall is of random coursed rubble, partly faced with late C18 brick; the W window is C18, altered in the C20. At the W end of the Nave are 4 posts of a former belfry. The nave roof is 7-canted, possibly contemporary with the late C14 structure, with 2 later tiebeams with different mouldings. In each pitch are 2 C20 hipped dormers. The S porch has a late C14 outer archway with hollow-chamfered jambs and 2-centred arch; the upper part is repaired with late C16 brick. There is a late C14 stoup with hollow-chamfered jambs and 2-centred head, the bowl partly destroyed. The roof of the porch is late C16, in 2 bays, of clasped purlin construction with knees to the central collar. There are inscriptions on stones in the N wall of the Nave (1) 'Mathew Bets and Robert Pierc mad this wall 1618' and (2) 'Mathew Drakes and Edmund Caitmur church wardenes when this wall was built 1618 IRIX'. In the Nave is a floor slab to M-- ANN D--NISO-, 1777. There are indents (1) of man and 2 wives, c.1450, and (2) of man and wife, c.1440. ( C.R. Couchman et al, Excavations at St. Michael's Church, Latchingdon, 1976, Essex Archaeology and History, II (third series), 1979. 6-31).

Listing NGR: TQ8877298722

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 117391

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Couchman, C R, 'Essex Archaeology and History' in Excavations at St Michaels Church Latchingdon 1976, , Vol. 2, (1979), 6-31

End of official listing