GREEN END

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1110880

Date first listed: 30-May-1986

Statutory Address: GREEN END, CHAPEL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREEN END
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110880 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 10:37:57.

Location

Statutory Address: GREEN END, CHAPEL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Purleigh

National Grid Reference: TL 83679 01682

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PURLEIGH CHAPEL LANE TL 80 SW (west side) 1/82 Green End GV II

House, converted to range of 3 cottages, now one house. Early C18, divided into 2 tenements in late C18, extended by a third tenement in early C19, combined in C20. Timber framed with later brick infill, plastered and weatherboarded, and plastered brick, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing SE with central stack, originally forming a lobby-entrance, now blocked. Early C19 extension to left. C20 lean-to extension along full length of rear. One storey with attics. 3 C20 casements in C19 apertures with segmental heads, and 3 C20 casements in gabled dormers. One C20 door in C19 doorway with segmental arch, and a similar doorway converted to a casement in the C20. Gambrel roof. Facade of plastered brick to the original building, C19 extension of plastered brick. Right return weatherboarded. Primary straight bracing. Axial beams, plain joists of vertical section. In original house, 2 wood-burning hearths back to back. In left extension, a small coal-burning hearth without grate on each floor. The court rolls of Le How manor show that this plot was enclosed from the lord's waste in 1701, the original house was built by 1704, it was divided into 2 tenements before 1779, and extended to 3 tenements between 1813 and 1821 (Essex Record Office, D/DU 377).

Listing NGR: TL8367901682

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 117410

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing