This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY (RUIN) NORTH OF BIRCH HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY (RUIN) NORTH OF BIRCH HALL

List entry Number: 1110898

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY (RUIN) NORTH OF BIRCH HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Colchester

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Birch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 117345

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURCH 1. 5214 Church of St Mary (Ruin) north of Birch Hall TL 92 SE 12/19 23.6.52 II* 2. C12 with C14 and C16 alterations. Rubble, part covered with limestone and brick dressings. C12 nave, has 2 windows in north wall, one of C12 now blocked, with Roman brick in west jamb. Western window has moulded jambs of C14 and C15 brick head. North doorway with C14 segmental arch. C15 rood loft staircase light. East quoins in Roman brick. South wall has remains of C12 south doorway and one window, plus C12 window matching north wall, but unblocked. Early C16 doorway to stair turret with chamfered jambs and 4 centred head. C14 church has remains of original east window. In north wall are 2 mid C14 windows, with 2 centred heads and moulded labels. Remains of 2 similar windows in south wall, between which is C14 doorway with moulded jambs, 2 centred arch and label. West tower is of 4 stages. Two lower stages are C14. Two upper stages of C16 red brick. C14 brick tower arch is 2 centred with 2 chamfered arches. C14 west windows of 2 cinquefoiled lights with quatrefoil in 2 centred head with moulded label and covered stops. West wall has C14 window. Early C16 windows to bell chamber in brick with 2 four centred lights in a square head. (RCHM 1).

Listing NGR: TL9500720770

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)

National Grid Reference: TL 95007 20770

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110898 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 12:02:42.

End of official listing