This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Willie Almshouses and Chapel

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Willie Almshouses and Chapel

List entry Number: 1111057


2-8 and 8A-12, School Road, Great Totham, Maldon, CM9 8PT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Totham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Aug-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 118973

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/05/2018

TL 81 SE 4/138

GREAT TOTHAM SCHOOL ROAD Nos 2 to 8, and 8a to 12 (even) Willie Almshouses and Chapel

(Formerly listed as Willie Almshouses and Chapel, SCHOOL ROAD)

GV II Two rows of almshouses with a small chapel at north east angle. Dated 1855. For William and Louisa Gooday. Red brick with some black brick diapering. Grey slate roofs, the chapel roof with plain and fish scale striations. L-plan. Single storey with later rear lean-to extensions.

Four Almshouses and the Chapel back onto School Road with a similar pair forward right of chapel. All face a garden courtyard with central lawn. Two red brick chimney stacks with attached diagonal shafts to left range, one similar stack to right range. Dentilled eaves cornices. Angle buttresses and one buttress to Chapel. Eight two light small paned casements with moulded centre mullions and four vertically boarded doors with segmental arches to left range. Four similar windows and two doors to right range. Stone plaque to left gable inscribed: "The Willie Almshouses. These almshouses were built by William Gooday and Louisa his wife 1855".

The courtyard face of corner chapel has a vertically boarded door with segmental pointed arch to surround and attached diagonal shaft chimney stack to right. Dentilled eaves cornice. Three stone graduated leaded lancet windows to east gable wall, angle buttress to road. Two three leaded light windows under square heads with stone mullions and dressings. Right vertically boarded door with ornate iron hinges, chamfered brick surround with segmental pointed head. To right gable apex is a stone dressed red brick open bell cote with pointed arched head, bell on cross bar. Below the bell cote is a clock under a segmental pointed arch. An attractive and unusual group in this area.

Listing NGR: TL8567911418

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 85679 11418


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111057 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 12:01:40.

End of official listing