WALL ENCLOSING BRAXTED PARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1111073

Date first listed: 08-Aug-1985

Statutory Address: WALL ENCLOSING BRAXTED PARK, BRAXTED PARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALL ENCLOSING BRAXTED PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111073 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 20:11:37.

Location

Statutory Address: WALL ENCLOSING BRAXTED PARK, BRAXTED PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Great Braxted

National Grid Reference: TL 84766 15698

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 81 NW, NE, SE GREAT BRAXTED BRAXTED PARK ROAD BRAXTED PARK

1/59, 2/59 & 4/59 Wall enclosing Braxted Park

GV II

Park wall. Circa 1825-1831. For Peter Du Cane . Red brick with moulded coping, mainly stepped. Of varying height approx. 3-4 metres in Flemish bond. The wall has a circumference of approx. 4 1/2 miles. It adjoins Braxted Park Road to the south and Kelvedon Road to the west, Pundicts Lodge track to east and returns from thence to Kelvedon Road. Building commenced 1825 at Kelvedon Lodge, the NW angle. The anti-clockwise building phases are commemorated with stone plaques set in the wall inscribed e.g.P. D.-1825. In addition to Kelvedon Lodge and entrance gates q.v. 2/72, 73 Witham Lodge q.v. 1/60 is situated at the SW angle, Nos. 1 & 2 entrance lodges with Nos. 3 and 4 on opposite side of Braxted Park Road q.v. 4/61,2,3 & 4. The entrance gates to Great Braxted Church are of wrought iron with side panels supported by square brick pillars with plain stone capping, wall plaque dated 1827 but the gates and pillars appear to be of a later date. Entrance gateway at southeast angle has tall square red brick pillars, moulded stone capping surmounted by lidded urn finials dated 1828 and 1830. The new entrance to Pundicts Lodge with large ball finials to brick pillars and tall arrow head rails and gates. A rare survival in Essex and of good quality, the wall exemplifies the prestige of the Du Cane family at Braxted Park during the 19th century. Peter Du Cane removed the houses from near Great Braxted Church to Bung Row q.v. 4/88-92 thus enclosing only the Church in this area of the Park.

Listing NGR: TL8476615698

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118903

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 15 Essex,

End of official listing