BRAXTED PARK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1111110

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1959

Statutory Address: BRAXTED PARK HOUSE, BRAXTED PARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRAXTED PARK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111110 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 03:48:23.

Location

Statutory Address: BRAXTED PARK HOUSE, BRAXTED PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Great Braxted

National Grid Reference: TL 85499 15344

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 81 NE GREAT BRAXTED BRAXTED PARK ROAD BRAXTED PARK

2/46 Braxted Park House

30.12.59 GV II*

House. C17 origin, reconstructed to designs of Robert Taylor circa 1752-59 and enlargements by John Johnson Circa 1804-06. Various work by local artisans, James Brown and Matthew Hall late C18. Restorations for Plessey Company about 1950 when an Adam style ceiling was inserted in the Saloon and a copy ceiling from one at Shardeloes, Bucks inserted in the main bedroom. Red brick built. Stone coping to parapet. Cornice and central band. Grey slate roofs, hipped to right and left forward wings. 7 red brick chimney stacks visible from front face. 2 storeys and attics. 2:9:2 window range of octagonal paned vertically sliding sashes. 5 matching window ranges to inner wing returns, excepting blocked ground and first floor to second bay and alcoves to fifth bay of left wing return, alcoves to ground and first floor 3rd bay and first floor fifth bay of right wing return. Central double doors of 5 panels. Flat roofed stucco surround, capitals and bases to pilasters, metopes and triglyphs to frieze, Moulded cornice. To rear right a flat roofed extension with matching octagonal window. Interior contains much fine detail including arcaded main hall, wreathed baluster to curved iron foliate baluster rails. Moulded surrounds to doors and windows. Reveal shutters to windows, some 6 panel some octagonal panel doors. Friezes to some doors. Fine saloon and master bedroom. Some panelling. Good fireplaces, Jacobean and Adam style. Stick staircase. Fine C20 library with curved panelling, hidden doors and gun case. The house stands in a park of about 500 acres with a fine lake of 15 acres crossed by a bridge q.v. 2/55 and with a Cave/Ice House q.v.2/58 and Summerhouse at its western end. The park is entirely walled in red brick q.v.l, 2,4/59. There are 6 lodge cottages q.v.4/61,2,3 & 4 1/60 & 2/72 and various garden features q.v.2/58, 56, 52 etc. The house was owned by the Darcy family C17 and the Du Cane family from circa 1751-1919 (Braxted Lodge - Nancy Briggs M.A., Essex Journal July 1970).

Listing NGR: TL8550015341

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118890

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Essex Journal' in Essex Journal, (1970)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 15 Essex,

End of official listing