PARISH CHURCH OF ST CHRISTOPHER WILLINGALE DOE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1111257

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST CHRISTOPHER WILLINGALE DOE, VILLAGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST CHRISTOPHER WILLINGALE DOE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111257 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 00:23:56.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST CHRISTOPHER WILLINGALE DOE, VILLAGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Willingale

National Grid Reference: TL 59626 07370

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 50 NE WILLINGALE VILLAGE STREET, (West side), 5/114 Parish Church of 20.2.67 St. Christopher Willingale Doe GV II*

Parish Church, chancel and nave late C14, tower and porch mid C15, north aisle added and rest substantially restored in C19. Walling is of flint rubble with fragments of free stone and Roman bricks, with limestone and clunch dressings. Nave and chancel roofs are gabled in peg tiles. Chancel has C19 east window but with C15 rear arch and label. North and south walls each have 2 late C14 windows restored. On south wall is a C14 doorway almost entirely reconstructed. Late C14 chancel arch with 2 hollow chamfered orders and moulded capitals. The nave has C19 north arcade. In the south wall are 3 late C14 style windows each of 2 lights and the original, late C14 south doorway with moulded jambs, a 2-centred arch and C19 label. The west tower is of 3 stages with an embattled parapet. The bell chamber has 2 light C19 windows on west, south and north faces. The tower arch is of 2 orders, the inner hollow chamfered and continuous, the outer moulded and interrupted by moulded capitals and bases on each respond. Roof of nave has crownposts with straight bracing now encased. Chancel has a moulded wallplate of C14/C15. South porch is C19 rebuilding of timber and brick structure incorporating simple old crownpost tiebeam and arch braces. This now has turned baluster like mullions. C15 stone font, octagonal with each face having quatrefoils inscribed in circle and blank shields. Monument in chancel to Robert Wiseman 1641, Richard Wiseman, 1618, and Mary, his wife, 1635. Elaborate of allabaster and marble with 3 Corinthian columns standing on lions head corbels, supporting entablatures and coffered semi- circular vaults. Reclining effigy of man in plate armour on shelf. Smaller kneeling figures in civil costume of man and wife. The Wisemans owned Torrells Hall (item 6/3). Also in chancel, wall monument to Johannes Salter 1744, and in nave, to Winifred Barrington of marble with cupids. Included for Architectural, Historic Landscape and group value. (RCHM 1).

Listing NGR: TL5962607370

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118523

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

End of official listing