This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SPAINS HALL AND WING TO THE EAST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SPAINS HALL AND WING TO THE EAST

List entry Number: 1111263

Location

SPAINS HALL AND WING TO THE EAST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Willingale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 118534

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 60 NW WILLINGALE Spains Hall and wing to 6/22 the East 27.8.57

GV II

Farmhouse, C16 or earlier and timber framed and plastered with C20 pargetted panels. Roofs are gabled in peg tiles. Of 2 storeys with attics and of complex plan form. A long east/west range with a wide and a narrow gabled projecting block on the north side with near central to these, an enclosed C19 projecting porch. The range to the west has 2 gabled peg tile roofed dormers in its north roof slope and a double hung sash window with small panes and moulded surrounds on each floor. The projecting gabled blocks have a mixture of 2 and 3 light casements of the C19, some with small panes and others with two horizontal glazing bars in each light. Off-centre, as the ridge line, is a rebuilt stack of 3 diagonal shafts and a smaller stack near the west gable. To the east is a painted brick, 2 storey block with a lower ridge line with one double hung sash with small panes on its north elevation. To the east and linked by a single storey peg tile roofed block is a 2 storey range, part render and part brick over a timber frame. The roof is gabled peg tiles and sweeps down to a continuous rear single storey lean-to. The front or west face has a projecting gabled and peg tiled central block. The windows are a mixture of C19 and C20 casements. A large square stack is set aside the ridge line off- centre. Within the main block is a four centred arched door head. (RCHM 4).

Listing NGR: TL6030706408

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

National Grid Reference: TL 60307 06408

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111263 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 01:00:03.

End of official listing