CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1111331
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111331.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2021 at 00:26:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Epping Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Abbess Beauchamp and Berners Roding
National Grid Reference:
TL 57178 11438

Details

TL 51 SE ABBESS, BERNERS AND ABBESS RODING BEAUCHAMP RODING 2/11 Church of St. Edmund II 20.2.67

Parish Church. C14, C15, C19 with earlier origins. Walls of partly coursed flint rubble with dressings of clunch. W tower with spire,nave,chancel, S porch and N vestry. Roofs pegtiled and gabled. Chancel C19 3 light E window, N wall has 2 windows, the E of 2 cinquefoiled lights with uncusped spandrels and square head C14. The reset early ogival C14 W window is 2 trefoiled lights with a square head. Between is a blocked C14 doorway which apparently led to a rectangular, pentice roofed small chamber projecting on the interior. In the S wall 2 windows of the C15 partly restored of 2 cinquefoiled lights under 4 centred heads. Between is a much restored C15 doorway with moulded jambs, a 2 centred arch under a square head. The late C14 chancel arch is 2 centred and of 2 moulded orders with a C19 capital. The nave has, in the N wall, 2 windows, the E is of 2 lights with C19 tracery in a 2 centred head of C14. The W wall is C19. Between is a mid-C14 doorway with moulded jambs and 2 centred arch with label. In the S wall are 2 windows as in N wall but E is unrestored. The door is C19. Exuberant, gabled peg-tiled roofed, timber framed S porch dating from restoration of 1866-8. Roofs of nave and chancel are C15. Late C12 square bowl font with circular stem and 4 small shafts and carved sides. Screen under chancel-arch not in-situ of 3 and ½ double bays, each sub-bay with cinquefoiled sub cusped and traceried head. Close lower panels with traceried heads and bases. Late C15, restored. Sounding board over pulpit on short fluted Doric pilaster with inlaid soffit and enriched cornice E, C18. Monuments in nave, on N wall, of Sir William Capel 1613, on S wall of Mildred (Capel) wife of Sir William Lucklyn, Bart. 1633, by Epiphanius of Evesham. Some fragments of C15 glass reset in SE chancel window. (RCHM 1).

Listing NGR: TL5717811438

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
118285
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/14979/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter L. Herring. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].