PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1111353

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, VICARAGE LANE, CM16 6AL

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111353 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 02:04:39.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, VICARAGE LANE, CM16 6AL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: North Weald Bassett

National Grid Reference: TL 49549 05187

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 40 NE, 4/35

NORTH WEALD BASSETT, VICARAGE LANE, Parish Church of St. Andrew

20.02.67

GV

II*

Parish church, built c.1330, repaired after fire 1965, with W tower c.1500. Flint rubble with some admixture of brick and freestone, and dressings of limestone and clunch, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Tower of red brick, English bond. Consists of nave with S. chapel and S. aisle, chancel, N vestry and W tower. Chancel and vestry rebuilt in 1867, with major repairs in 1965. The nave has three C19 windows in the N wall, the middle one with a substantial area of C14 glass, mainly tabernacle work. Between the two western windows is the N doorway, with chamfered jambs, 2-centred arch and moulded label, C14. The door is probable original, vertical boards on the outside with ornamental iron hinges of stylised C-form, C13/14, reported by the RCHM to be battened on the inside but now blocked by plaster. The S arcade consists of five 2-centred arches, the middle one narrower than the others, with two chamfered orders, on octagonal columns, with moulded capitals and responds and hollow-chamfered bases. The S chapel has a gable end with C14 window, restored, of three trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a 2-centred head; the splays and rear arch are moulded with internal label and C20 headstops. The S wall has two C14 windows, restored, each of two trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in. a 2-centred head with moulded labels and wrought-iron grids; the eastern window forms a stepped sedile. The wall has a piscina with trefoiled head and sexfoiled drain, C14. The W wall of the chapel has a 2-centred arch of two chamfered orders opening into the S aisle. The aisle has one window, mainly C19, and the S doorway, with double-chamfered jambs and 2-centred head with moulded label. The W tower is square with diagonal buttresses, entirely c.1500 except some modern repairs. The tower-arch is 2-centred with four orders, moulded and plain; the responds each have 2 shafts with continuous moulded capitals and spreading bases. The W window is C19 except for the splays and rear. arch. The W doorway has double- chamfered jambs and a 2-centred arch of stone with moulded brick label. In the SW angle is a winding stair with chamfered doorway and Tudor arch, containing the original door with studded battens and strap-hinges. The tower is built in four stages, of which the second and third constitute a priest's lodging. The second stage has a single-light window with 3-centred arch in the W and S walls, and in the N wall a fireplace with 4-centred brick head, the chimney not visible externally. The third stage has a similar window in each wall. It now contains the bells, but originally they occupied the fourth stage, undivided externally from the third stage, with a window in each wall of two 4- centred lights under a 4-centred head. There is a band of diaper work in blue flared headers on the S side of the fourth stage, and an indistinct pattern of headers lower down. There is an embattled parapet on a corbel-table of small segmental arches. Most of the floor structures are original. The roofs were rebuilt in 1965 on the model of the C19 roofs. The nave contains floor slabs (1) to John Searle of Wheelers, 1665, and Mary, his wife, 1676, in limestone (2) to Thomas Arrowsmith, Vicar of the parish, 1705-6 and Margaret his wife, 1702, in black marble with a shield of arms (3) to Rev. Mr. Biscoe (no Christian name known) 1745, in black marble with a shield of arms (4) to Mr. John Burrell, 1805, and Anna Manning Burrell, 1809, in black marble. There is a brass in the blocked N doorway to Walter Larder, 1606 (the last 2 digits broken off) and Marie (Nicholls) his wife, 3 sons and 2 daughters, with figures of man, woman and children in civil dress and shield of arms. There are 6 bells, the third by John Waylett, 1712, the fifth by Anthony Bartlet, 1673 . The chancel screen recorded by the RCHM was removed after the fire of 1964 to a church in the diocese of Norwich. Medieval paintings on the N wall immediately W of the blocked N door were uncovered in 1964, considerably damaged, and were re-covered (report by Clive Rouse, 22 December 1964, in NMR).

Listing NGR: TL4954905187

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118235

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Rouse, Clive , Report on the Parish Church of St Andrew 22 December 1964,

End of official listing