NEW CHURCH OF JERUSALEM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1111399

Date first listed: 10-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: NEW CHURCH OF JERUSALEM, QUEEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEW CHURCH OF JERUSALEM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111399 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 16:52:31.

Location

Statutory Address: NEW CHURCH OF JERUSALEM, QUEEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Brightlingsea

National Grid Reference: TM 08628 16882

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTLINGSEA QUEEN STREET TM 0816-0916 8/58 New Church of Jerusalem

- II

Church. Circa 1867/68. Architect, E.C. Gosling, 44 Chancery Lane, London, Builder Mr. Lake of Brightlingsea at a cost of £1,150.00. Gault and red brick. Roof not visible from road. 2 storeys. Parapet. Moulded cornice follows through pilaster capitals. End pilasters. Of 3 bays. The central bay breaks forward with moulded open pediment raised above parapet and supported by pilasters. 1:2:1 round headed first floor windows, those to central bay with circular light over under a round headed recessed arch. Left and right segmental headed ground floor windows, all with diamond leaded glass and stained glass margins. Steps approach the central panelled double doors and round headed doorway, double side pilasters with moulded capitals, flat canopy over. Foundation stone laid by William Pickstone 1867. Swedenborg's writings attracted little attention until circa 1783, About 1809 Dr. Moses Fletcher, arrived in Brightlingsea to practice as a surgeon became a leading member of the New Church. On 15 August 1813 Mr. Arthur Munson was ordained the 19th New Church Minister and a church was built and opened at 18 New Street during 1814, the accommodation became inadequate for the numbers wishing to attend services and members were "kept at home systematically for want of room until this building was opened. Brightlingsea Society of the New Church 1813-1968 A.L. Wakelin, 1968.

Listing NGR: TM0862816882

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120185

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wakelin, A L , Brightlingsea Society of the New Church 1813-1968, (1968)

End of official listing