CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1111402

Date first listed: 10-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, VICTORIA PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111402 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 02:39:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, VICTORIA PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Brightlingsea

National Grid Reference: TM 08691 16817

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTLINGSEA VICTORIA PLACE TM 0816-0916 8/64 CHURCH OF ST JAMES

GV II

Parish Chapel of Ease. Circa 1834-36 with C20 Chancel. William Mason, Architect, Builder Aldous, boat builders. White brick. Grey slate roof, pierced ridge tiles. The coped south gable faces Victoria Place, with 3 diamond leaded graduated chamfered lancets, labels over. To right (east) the 4 stage tower is set forward with a chamfered 2 centred arched doorway and double vertically boarded doors. Band to second stage. 2 small chamfered lancets with labels and corbelled cornice. The broached octagonal third stage has chamfered lancet louvres with labels to alternate faces. A hipped roof terminates in the slender belfry with narrow louvres to each face and octagonal spire. Angle buttresses to second stage. The returns are buttressed with lancets between. Gabled porch to left return with 2 centred arched doorway. The town clock erected to commemorate Queen Victoria's Jubilee is attached to the second stage of the tower by iron brackets. Interior. The roof is boarded above collars. Each tie beam supports a central iron queen post and 2 timber queen posts with V braces. There is a continuous balcony to east and south and west walls supported by cast iron octagonal pillars with moulded capitals and with moulded Gothic panelling, moulded top rail and soffit. Vertically boarded dado. Trefoiled heads to pew ends. Angled wooden pulpit with pierced and carved tracery. Circular stone font with circular stem and base. A tall chamfered 2 centred arch has been cut through the rear (north) wall and leads into the simple C20 chapel. Carved wooden figure of Christ behind the altar. Pevsner, Essex, 1965.

Listing NGR: TM0869116817

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120191

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Essex, (1954)

End of official listing