THE BREWERS ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1111403

Date first listed: 19-Sep-1974

Statutory Address: THE BREWERS ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE, VICTORIA PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BREWERS ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111403 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 16:15:38.

Location

Statutory Address: THE BREWERS ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE, VICTORIA PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Brightlingsea

National Grid Reference: TM 08681 16778

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTLINGSEA VICTORIA PLACE TM 0816-0916 8/68 The Brewers Arms 19.9.74 (Public House)

GV II

Public House. Circa 1691 documented building of possibly earlier origin, with later alterations and additions. Timber framed, plastered front and weatherboarded rear. Double range red plain tiled roofs. Central red brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys and attics with lower ranges to right. 3 flat headed dormers with small paned vertically sliding sashes. 2 similar rear dormers with C19 2 light casements. Dentilled cornice. 3 window range of mainly tripartite small paned vertically sliding sashes. Central 4 panel 2 light door, fluted pilasters with moulded capitals and bases, dentilled soffit to pediment. The right range with a single small paned vertically sliding sash and end chimney stack. Iron gutter brackets. New Street left return, weatherboarded, an attic and 2 first floor small paned vertically sliding sash windows. A blocked shop front with 3 pilasters and fascia, 3 light window, and end window and door. 2 first and 3 ground floor rear windows, one a bow and one with a canopy on brackets. Gabled weatherboarded porch to left. The lower left range with single window, C20 door, canopy on brackets. Philip Sainty - a founder of Yacht building in England, who built the schooner "Pearl" for the Marquis of Anglesea, lived in this building circa 1790 q.v. 8/62. RCHM 4.

Listing NGR: TM0868116778

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120195

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)

End of official listing