ALRESFORD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1111422

Date first listed: 21-Feb-1950

Statutory Address: ALRESFORD HALL, FORD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ALRESFORD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111422 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 03:46:44.

Location

Statutory Address: ALRESFORD HALL, FORD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Alresford

National Grid Reference: TM 07314 20489

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALRESFORD OFF FORD LANE TM 02 SE (east side)

3/1 ALRESFORD PARK

21.2.50 Alresford Hall

GV II

House. Early C18 of earlier origin. Red brick with black headers. Red plain tiled roofs, hipped to central range. Forward left and right gabled wings. Red brick chimney stacks to left and right of wings and rear right of main range. An earlier red brick chimney stack in English bond now incorporated in rear left wall. Various rear ranges. 2 storeys and attics. 4 square headed dormers to central range. Raised centre to parapet, moulded stone coping and cornice. Moulded stone pediments and cornices to wings. 1:7:1 window range of small paned vertically sliding sashes, brick segmental heads to first floor. Ground floor wings each with tall 4-light windows with glazing bars, central range 3:3 tall windows with glazing bars, brick segmental heads. Later central red brick flat headed porch, moulded timber doorway. Glazed door, round headed fanlight over. Interior contains may panelled doors with moulded architraves, moulded wainscots etc. Simple panel plastering and fluted pilasters to main front room. Moulded ceiling cornices. Panelled shutters to windows. Inlaid parquet floor to front room. Several marble and coloured stone fireplaces, one with urns and fluting. Fireplace from elsewhere with carved wood birds, lions and fruit. Some good cast iron grates. Arches to hall and landing. Moulded string and turned balusters to staircase. The Alresford Estate was purchased in 1720 by Captain Matthew Martin, a director of the East India Company who had carried a £200,000 cargo, in the Indiaman "Marlborough", through a French squadron and was awarded £1,000 by the East India Company for this achievement, he owned property in Wivenhoe and was twice MP for Colchester. "Kelly's Directory" 1912, "Essex at Work" A F J Brown (1969).

Listing NGR: TM0731420489

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120135

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brown, A F J, Essex at Work, (1969)
'Kellys Directory' in Essex, (1912)

End of official listing