This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

COTTAGE TO LEFT OF DUKE STORES THE DUKE STORES WG AYERS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COTTAGE TO LEFT OF DUKE STORES THE DUKE STORES WG AYERS

List entry Number: 1111491

Location

8-14, SPRING ROAD
COTTAGE TO LEFT OF DUKE STORES, SPRING ROAD
THE DUKE STORES, SPRING ROAD
WG AYERS, SPRING ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring

District Type: District Authority

Parish: St. Osyth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 120009

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST. OSYTH SPRING ROAD TM 1215 (west side) 15/175 Nos. 8/14 (alternate) W.G. Ayers, The Duke Stores and cottage to left. GV II Row of shops with cottage (No. 14) to left. Formerly houses. Circa 1500 or earlier with later alterations and additions. Timber framed and weatherboarded, No. 14 and The Duke Stores gault brick faced. Red plain tiled and pantiled roofs. Red brick chimney stacks to No. 14 and The Duke Stores. 2 storeys and cellar. Complex plan, 2 gabled crosswings to left, that to far left (no. 14) smaller and set back, central roofs of 2 levels, this end of the building early C19 gault brick faced. Right roofs of 2 levels, that to far right pantiled, the walls weatherboarded. Various rear wings. First floor 1:1:2:2:1 window range. Ground floor 1:1:3:2:1. Of mainly vertically sliding shutters with glazing bars and C20 shop windows to ground floor right. 4 C19 and C20 doors. Interior of part of No. 8 is of 3 bays with arched braces to tie beams, halved and bridled top plate scarf and round headed doorway to ground floor.

Listing NGR: TM1231315581

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 12313 15581

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111491 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 01:25:28.

End of official listing