TM 22 SW
FRINTON AND WALTON
Church of St Michael
Parish church. C14/C15 restored c.1833 and mainly rebuilt c.1870 by Henry Stone. Chancel, Nave, North and South Aisles and Vestry. C15 west tower. Stone, flint and septaria, stone dressings. Plain red tiled roofs with pierced and scalloped ridge tiles, cross finials. Chancel, angle and 2 southern buttresses. East window of 3 lights with trefoiled roundel over under a 2 centre arched head, stone and flint dressings to arch. Single light north window with stopped label. 2 southern windows with blocked 2 centre arched doorway between. The 2 light eastern window with tracery over under 2 centre arched head, label with head stops. Western window of 2 lights with centre transom, segmental pointed head. Nave, north wall, 4 buttresses, quatrefoiled cornice, east and west trefoiled 3 light windows, cusped roundel and 2 trefoils over, under 2 centre arched heads, labels with head stops. The buttresses either side of the central porch with niches and gables over, finials to apices. Porch gabled and buttressed, moulded 2 centre arched doorway jambs with moulded capitals and bases to double shafts, label with head stops over. Double vertically boarded doors, ornate hinges. South aisle, three 3 light 2 centre arched windows, labels with foliate stops between 4 buttresses. West wall window, moulded 2 centre arch, shafts with rings to jambs, small round headed window to gable. South vestry. 2 buttresses. Two 2 centre arched windows, head stops to moulded label, which follows through. East wall. Rose window, label with foliate stops. Flint and stone dressing to moulded 2 centre arched doorway. Caernarvon head to door. Large west tower of 3 stages, diagonal buttresses with 4 offsets, flint flushwork crenellations, plinth frieze with shields and foliate centres to quatrefoils. Raised octagonal stair turret to south east. Tall moulded 2 centre arched 2 light openings with centre transoms to belfry. Clock to second stage of north face and small lights to east, south and west faces. West window of 3 ogee lights with tracery over. West doorway, moulded 2 centred arched, labels with foliate stops.
INTERIOR. Chancel. Roof has arched braces with pierced spandrels, rest on stone corbels, moulded crossed king posts. Double piscina, chamfered with curved bases to round heads, rear shelf, 2 round drains, probably C14. C19/C20 linenfold reredos and altar table. Segmental pointed arch to south vestry and organ chamber, possibly medieval. Segmental arch to north wall, C19 stained glass to windows. C19 altar rails and choirstalls. Moulded 2 centred Chancel arch, headstops to label. Nave and aisles. Roofs have stone corbels supporting the principal rafters of the 7 cant roof. C19 timber panelled pulpit on splayed stem. North and south aisles of 3 bays, moulded bases and capitals to alternate circular and octagonal columns, moulded 2 centred arches with ball flower decoration. Sunk chamfered segmental head to north doorway. C20 octagonal font, pointed quatrefoils to panels. C19/C20 stained glass to all windows. Church chest to north wall. Tower arch, chamfered and moulded jambs, moulded bases and capitals, chamfered and moulded 2 centred arch. Chamfered 2 centre arched doorway to stair turret, vertically boarded door with wrought hinges. Porch has 5 cant roof, 3 light side windows with shafts between.
Listing NGR: TM2196022033