CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1111513

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111513 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 22:15:50.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: St. Osyth

National Grid Reference: TM 12273 15576

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST. OSYTH CHURCH SQUARE TM 1215 15/131 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 17.11.66 GV I Parish church. C12 origin, west wall of Nave and north aisle. Late C13 east arcades of north and south transepts. Probably late C13 Chancel. Circa 1340. West Tower much repaired C18. Chancel arch was rebuilt C15. C16 reconstruction of north and south aisles and north transept, Nave rebuilt, south porch added. C19 restorations and north porch. Walls generally of septaria and flint rubble with some diapering, also ashlar and flint diapering. Some red and black brick diapering and red brick repairs. Mainly stone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs with ornate ridge tiles. Chancel, north and south chapels, north and south transepts, Nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, west tower with south eastern stair turret. Noteworthy features include the red brick nave arcades, the Nave and north aisle roofs and the C16 Darcy monuments. Chancel, angle buttresses, partly restored C14 east window, 3 cinquefoil ogee lights, tracery over, 2 centred head, moulded label. North wall C14 origin 2 centre arched window, moulded label, doorway below of similar type and probably similar date, but with moulded capitals and bases to attached shafts. South wall, window similar to that in north wall, 2 red brick buttresses with a window between, this probably C13 with a shouldered head. Nave, east gable apex window of 3 trefoiled lights, moulded segmental head, 2 similar windows below. East wall of south chapel, north window C19/C20 except for C14 rear arch and splays, 2 cusped ogee lights, quatrefoil over, moulded 2 centred head, label, south window, C14 origin, 2 cinquefoiled lights, tracery, 2 centred head. Ornate moulded rainwater head adjacent to Chancel. South wall including aisle the wall of which is diapered brick, chapel and transept. Angle buttresses, left to right similar buttress right of porch, 3 red brick buttresses. 3 C16 windows of 4 trefoiled lights, vertical tracery over, 4 centred heads, moulded band and plinth under. 2 stone monuments with panels over between 2 buttresses. C19 window in transept with some C14 detail, 3 cusped ogee lights, tracery over, 2 centred head and label. C16 south chapel window of 3 cusped lights, tracery over, 4 centred head, below and set into it a C19 square headed doorway with moulded label. West wall, of C16 diapered brick, moulded band and plinth under a 4 light window similar to south wall windows. Gabled south porch, red brick, stone coping to gable, stone dressed angle buttresses, moulded plinth. Splayed brick and stone jambs to outer archway, brick 4 centred head of 3 chamfered orders. Stone side windows each of two 4 centred lights, square heads, moulded labels. Roof of 6 collared rafter pairs, tie beam at each end. South doorway moulded and shafted jambs, 4 centred arch and label. C16 nailed vertically boarded door. West tower, much repaired. C16 south east stair turret angled, with slanting red tiled roof, 4 small lights and forward angle attached to Nave west wall, this with small hipped roof and a moulded brick alcove with 4 centred head above the hipped plinth, moulded band over. Buttresses to centre and angle of south wall, angles of west wall, 3 to north wall, with a lean-to store house between the Nave and eastern buttress. West window C14 origin of 2 pointed lights in a 2 centred head, above it a C18 red brick round headed louvre opening and similar louvres to each face of belfry. Gargoyle to north wall below crenellations. Walls of north aisle, transept and chapel. C16 chequered flint and rubble with red brick repairs. Moulded plinth and band below windows. 6 buttresses, that to west C19. C19 chimney incorporated in transept buttress and aisle with 4 large 4 trefoiled 4 centred lights, tracery over under 4 centred moulded heads, moulded labels over. The north doorway is between the western windows, with moulded and shafted jambs, 2 centred arch under a square head, the spandrels carved with a crowned monogram of the Virgin and the Arm of an Angel with a sword breaking the wheel of St. Katherine. Label over. C19 timber lean-to north porch with three 3 light leaded windows, the outer lights cusped ogees with tracery over. North transept C16 window of 3 trefoiled lights, moulded 4 centred head, label over. A smaller but similar window to north chapel. West wall, cusped 3 light window, moulded segmental head. Blocked C12 roundel. Interior. Chancel. Roof apparently of a late date of 3 cants, 5 pairs of arched braces on wall posts supported by corbels. Moulded and painted wall plates, painted panels between rafter feet. Stained glass to most windows. North wall doorway with chamfered 2 centred arch. Altar, said to be part of a slab with chamfered soffit and 2 consecration crosses. Stone reredos, crenellated, of 3 panels with 4 pinnacled niches each with a carved figure, niche to right and left. Unusual C19 stone "Sheepfold" altar rail with kneeling bench and ogee tracery, mosaic floor. Monuments. North wall, alabaster and marble table tomb recumbent effigies of man in armour, ruff and mantle, (broken below knees) wife with ruff, cloak etc., canopy resting on carved and panelled pilasters supporting a cornice which carried shields and achievement - John, 2nd Lord Darcy 1580-81 and Francis (Rich) his wife. South wall, table tomb, similar in general design and materials to north wall monument but with panelled centre piece above cornice, the man wears the garter, (left leg broken below knee). Thomas, 1st Lord Darcy K.G. 15-- and Elizabeth (Vere) his wife. Erected c.1580. South wall, wall monument to Lucy, Countess Rochford, 2 moulded urns, 1773 by Wm. Tyler. Piscina, moulded jambs, 3 centred head, round drain. Chancel arch, probably C13. 2 centred of 3 chamfered orders with C15 splayed responds, each with 3 moulded and attached capitals. Rose marble Chancel rails, columns with moulded capitals and bases, stone cusped ogee heads between. Moulded base and rail. North chapel, now the organ chamber. The north transept was reduced to the width of the aisle and also shortened during the C16 alterations. Mid C13 east arcade of one and a quarter bays with 2 centred arches of 3 chamfered orders, the round pier has 4 attached shafts with continuous moulded capitals and bases, south arch springs from a moulded corbel, the stem carved with stiff flowers, below is a round shaft, not central with the arch above, moulded corbel to east face. At different levels are 3 blocked C16 doorways to the rood loft staircase. West wall brick 4 centred arch of 3 moulded orders, the responds of 3 orders with continuous moulded capitals and moulded bases. The flat roof has moulded bridging and ceiling joist. South transept, reduced in depth like the north transept, but retains its south wall. East wall, late C13 arcade of 2 bays, the northern partly blocked by C16 brick pier. 2 centred arches of 3 chamfered orders. 8 attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases to pier, 3 similar shafts to south respond. West wall arch corresponds with that in north transept. Roof similar to that in north transept. Later traceried wooden screen to western arch. Floor slab to Elizabeth Lambe 1757. South Chapel. Roof tie beam with twisted foliate carving. 2 corbels to east wall, on south bracket a C14 mans head label stop. Monument against east wall, recessed table tomb, alabaster effigy in robes with cloak and cap, on rear wall brass inscription plate of artist, Fr. Grigs, 1640, John Darcy, Sergeant-at-law 1638. South wall, marble tablet with Corinthian capitals and achievement, to Briant Darcie 1587, Bridget (Corbet) his wife, a number of their children and grand- children. The Nave is entirely early C16 and of brick except the west wall. East bay separated from the rest by the responds of an unfinished Chancel arch, each of 3 orders with rear 4 centre headed squints. East bay north and south arches open into the transepts and are similar but lower than the west arches of the transepts. Nave north and south arcades of 5 bays with arches etc., similar to those in west walls of the transepts. On the west wall, south of the tower arch is an early C12 plain respond with chamfered impost relating to the, former south arcade. Early C16 9 bay single hammer beam roof, moulded wall plates and posts, ridge piece and triple side purlins, curved braces to collars and hammer beams. North aisle, pulpit, C19 octagonal carved wood with traceried panels. Early C16 flat roof of 5 bays with moulded and ornately carved tie beams bridging joists, purlins and wall plates, each with different running foliage richly carved pendants to centres of main ties. Arched braces to tie beams. SL carved on east bay intermediate tie. South aisle. Font, C15 Octagonal with cusped side panels enclosing 2 shields with crossed keys, sword and 3 crowns, head of John the Baptist, Angel with shield, knot and heart. Soffit with flowers, knot and shield with cross, panelled and traceried stem, moulded base. Early C16 flat roof of 5 bays, moulded wall plates, cambered tie beams on moulded wall posts and corbels, moulded purlins. West tower late C14, much altered and repaired. C14 2 centred tower arch of 2 wave moulded orders, chamfered responds each with an attached semi-octagonal shaft, the moulded capitals and bases of unusually wide projection. RCHM 2.

Listing NGR: TM1227315576

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 119963

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)

End of official listing