CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1111530

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Jul-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, OLD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111530 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 16:40:11.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, OLD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Frinton and Walton

National Grid Reference: TM 23718 19483

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FRINTON AND WALTON OLD ROAD, TM 21 NW FRINTON-ON-SEA 8/45 Church of St. Mary (formerly listed as Old 21.6.50 Parish of St Mary Connaught Avenue II* Old parish church. C14 Nave, C16 South Porch. Chancel became ruinous C17 or C18. Chancel rebuilt and other restorations circa 1879. Septaria and rubble walls. Limestone dressings. Red brick porch. Red plain tiled roof. Chancel, Nave, South Porch, Bell turret. Parapet verges to gables. Chancel, moulded plinth band follows through returns below windows. Buttresses to angles. East window of 3 lancet lights with 2 trefoils over, under a 2 centre arched head with carved soffit to stopped label. 2 light lancets to north and south walls. Stone panel with carved cross below east window. Nave. Angle buttresses to west wall. Cross finial to eastern gable. Bell turret with double arches under a square head to western gable. 2 chamfered lancet windows to north and south walls. Central C14, 2 centre arched north doorway with restored head and plastered jambs. 2 similar windows to south wall and central C14 chamfered 2 centre arched doorway to west wall. Chamfered 2 centre arched doorway, chamfered lancet-windows over. South porch. Circa 1600 with C19 restorations to eaves level, timber gable with plaster infill. Angled buttresses. Chamfered 4 centre arched head to outer doorway. Returns each with restored 2 light windows under 4 centre arched heads. Roof construction, collars to each rafter pair. Internal side seats. Interior. 5 cant roofs, simple moulding to wall plates. Coloured tiled floor to Chancel, large square bricks to Nave. Chancel. East window of stained glass designed by William Morris executed by Sir Edward Burne-Jones. 2 roundels to north window. Moulded trefoiled arch to north wall. Moulded wooden altar rails on 2 plain iron supports. Nave. 1977 glass roundels to north windows. C15 stoup with cinquefoiled head and C20 jambs to south wall. Round head to north doorway. C19/C20 octagonal font on circular stem, moulded rim, cross to north panel. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TM2371819483

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 119896

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)

End of official listing