This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ST CLERE'S HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST CLERE'S HALL

List entry Number: 1111565

Location

ST CLERE'S HALL, STANFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Thurrock

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Feb-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 119807

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for the following item:

1. 5221 6/39 STANFORD ROAD Mucking II 8.2.60 The grade shall be upgraded to II*, and the building should also be noted for its group value. The description shall be amended to read:

2.

Farmhouse. Built 1735 for James Adams, Clerk of the Stables to George II from 1727 to 1760; late C17 wing to left (east). Chequer brick; plain old tile mansard roof; brick end stacks. Late C17 wing to left of render over timber frame with similar roof. Double-depth style. Early Geogrian style with picturesque influence. 2 storeys and attic; symmetrical 5-window range. Segmental arches over 12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars; panelled double doors with original fittings set in square-headed wood architrave with urn set on triple keystone. Raised string courses and crenellated parapet; 3 pedimented dormers with 6-pane sashes. Crenellated stair tower to right side wall. Rear elevation, with segmental arches over mid/late C19 sashes, has projecting canted, 2-storey crenellated bay flanked by one-storey, 2-bay ranges with blind round windows set beneath crenellated parapets; range to left has further mid C18 bay with stone-coped parapet added to left. C18 panelled door to left side wall. Interior: panelled shutters and panelled doors with original fittings set in moulded wood architraves. Central hall has fielded panelling with dentilled cornice, and fine classical landscapes with ruins etc set in rectangular frames over doors; triple-keyed elliptical arch over screen with panelled door to rear, which could be raised by "portcullis" arrangement (machinery survives in attic) so combining two rooms; room to rear has large reset late C19 Jacobean-style fireplace in rectangular frames; similar panelled room with triglyph frieze to left; open-well staircase with turned balusters set on closed string to left, very fine open wall staircase to right with panelled dado and dentilled cornice to stairwell and ramped handrail and turned balusters set on open string. First floor: central room has fielded panelling with cyma-moulded cornice; flanking rooms have panelled dados, that to right having original fireplace and separated from central room by panelled passage leading to former main staircase. Panelled central room to rear has fine classical land and seascapes with ships and temples set in 4 rectangular frames, and particularly fine overmantle panel with temple and female bathers set over rectangular panel with festoons and bracketted mid C19 surround to C18 classical marble fireplace. Exposed timber framing in C17 bay to extreme left. The interior is noteworthy for the retention of its rare portcullis arrangement and machinery, and is exceptionally rare classical paintings in the manner of Poussin set in frames over the doorways and fireplace.

------------------------------------

1. 5221 STANFORD ROAD Mucking St Clere's Hall TQ 68 SE 6/39 8.2.60

II

2. Built in 1735 by James Adams. Red brick with flared headers with red plain tile roof. Five window range, double hung vertical sliding sashes with glazing bars in plain reveals. Three central windows are narrower and closer spaced. Brick plinth, band between storeys, band below crenellated plinth. Three dormer windows with timber pediments. Square plan with end stacks. Central doorway with heavy fielded panel door in 2 leafs. Eight panels altogether. Painted band surround with double keystone and 3 fluted half urns. Two storey wing on east, plastered with red plain tile roof.

Listing NGR: TQ6752981966

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 67529 81966

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111565 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 05:57:40.

End of official listing