This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1111573

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Thurrock

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Feb-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 119733

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5221 HIGH STREET Grays Church of St Peter and St Paul TQ 67 NW 10/7 8.2.60

II

2. Largely rebuilt in 1846, but retains C13 north tower and South Chapel. Ragstone and flint rubble with limestone dressings. Chancel is C19. Nave is also C19, except for C13 south doorway with moulded jambs and 2 centred arch. The crosswing is rebuilt, but incorporates east and west arches of late C12 or early C13 design. C13 north tower is of 3 stages. Top stage is modern. Early C13 arch from crosswing is 2 centred of 2 chamfered orders. East and north walls also have C13 arches. East wall has 3 original lancets. West wall has modern arch. Second stage has 3 lancet windows, now blocked. Two original doors in south-west angle. C13, south chapel has original arch in north wall, which is 2 centred of 2 chamfered orders. Responds have moulded capitals and bases. South wall has a modern window and west wall a C13 lancet. C16 screen, and font. Some medieval tiling and a brass of 1510. (RCHM 1).

Listing NGR: TQ6136677734

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)

National Grid Reference: TQ 61366 77734

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111573 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 05:20:09.

End of official listing