This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1111628

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, DOCK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Thurrock

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Feb-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 119652

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5221 DOCK ROAD Little Thurrock Church of St Mary the Virgin TQ 67 NW 10/8 8.2.60

II*

2. C12 with C14 and later alterations. Flint and mixed rubble, with limestone dressings. Roof tiled. Late C12 nave, has 2, C19, windows in north wall, incorporating C14 remains. North doorway is also C19 with part of C14, 2 centred head. South wall has C19 window, and part of C12 window. C12 south doorway has round arch. C14 chancel has C19 east window, with C14 splays and rear arch, north window is of similar date. South door and window also have C14 remains. Chancel arch is C19 with moulded and carved C12 abaci restoration and extensions of 1878, include west tower, south vestry, organ chamber, and north porch. Internal fittings include hexagonal pulpit inscribed "R 1700 C". Sedilia, 3 seats separated by shafts with moulded capitals and pointed arches. (RCHM 1).

Listing NGR: TQ6262777792

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)

National Grid Reference: TQ 62627 77792

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111628 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 05:10:51.

End of official listing