CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1111784

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ASHELDHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111784 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 18:27:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, ASHELDHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Dengie

National Grid Reference: TL 98930 01614

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 90 SE DENGIE ASHELDHAM ROAD

5/88 Church of St. James 30.12.59 GV II

Parish church. Nave and Chancel appear to have been rebuilt C14. Nave walls may be of earlier date. C19 south porch, north vestry and bellcote. Septaria, flint rubble, Roman brick and C14 yellow brick. Red plain tiled roofs. East wall, angle buttresses. C19 east window with C14 rear splays and re-set rear arch, of 3 cusped lights with 3 quatrefoils over, 2 centre arched head label with head stops. Chancel, C19 with some C14 material north and south single light windows, scissor tracery 2 centre arched heads, labels with head stops. C19 moulded 2 centre arched south doorway, label and head stops, to west of which is a small low set single light window with segmental head, label and head stops, splays and rear arch probably C14. Nave, south wall buttressed at angles. Two 2 light windows with pointed quatrefoils, 2 centre arched heads, labels and head stops, 2 similar windows to north wall, all much restored C14 as is the now blocked north doorway with similar arch and plain label. C19 south doorway. Gabled porch with angle buttresses and moulded pointed segmental arched doorway, sidelights of 3 ogee lights, segmental head, label and head stops. West wall restored C14 window of 3 ogee lights with tracery over, ogee head, label and head stops. Small, blocked C14 doorway with hollow chamfered jambs and 2 centre arched head. To gable apex a C19 stone bellcote, the chamfered base of 3 carved face corbels - 2 lions and a man, supporting 2 ogee arches, surmounted by 2 chamfered 2 centre arches with quatrefoil over, breaking through the pedimental head, bell to each arch. Ornate iron cross finial over. Interior. Chancel. C19 scissor braced roof. Head stops to north and south windows. South door head stops to 2 centre arched head. The circa 1880 ornately carved stone reredos designed and executed by Rev. E Warmington M.A., incorporates piscina and sedilia to north and south walls, the sedilia canopied, crocketed and pinnacled, with carved bases, crocketed and pinnacled piscina on carved bases. The 3 central reredos panels with gabled heads and illuminated panels painted by Miss Warmington, trefoiled side panels. C19 twisted iron altar rails. 2 centre arch with moulded label and head stops to north vestry. No Chancel arch. Nave. C19 7 cant roof. C19 octagonal pulpit with traceried panels, octagonal stem. Poppy heads to pews. Polygonal brick floor. Floor slab with indents for brasses which are now framed on a wall board of 5 kneeling boys, 2 kneeling girls, a woman with head-dress and dress girdle with 3 large buckles, said to be circa 1520. Font. Octagonal with chamfered rim and soffit, circular stem with moulded base and head. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL9893001614

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 119256

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)

End of official listing