This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BACONS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BACONS

List entry Number: 1111788

Location

BACONS, MANOR ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Dengie

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Aug-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 119264

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 90 SE DENGIE MANOR ROAD

5/96 Bacons

GV II

House. C16/C17 or earlier with later alterations and additions. Early C19 red brick front range, C17 or earlier attached red brick rear range, hipped grey slate roof. C19 left and right red brick chimney stacks, 2 repaired C17 or earlier red brick stacks to rear. 2 storeys. 3 window range to first floor, 2 range to ground floor of tripartite small paned vertically sliding sashes, segmental heads, excepting single light above central doorway. Step approach to Ionic portico of 2 columns, 2 pilasters, flat canopy with panelled soffit, reveal panels to doorway, panelled door with top lights. Interior features. Large stop chamfered bridging joists, stop chamfered storey posts. Rear right room with exposed C16/C17 chamfered and splayed red brick window jambs. Open string staircase with 2 turned balusters to each tread. C18 corner cupboard. One of the 2 original manors of Dengie and known as Bacons after Gilbert Bacon 1282 who obtained a licence to build a Free Chapel here. P. Morant Histo of Essex. Lord Petre was Lord of the Manor 1912 - Kelly's Directory.

Listing NGR: TL9859402495

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Morant, P, The History of Essex, (1763)
'Kellys Directory' in Essex, (1912)

National Grid Reference: TL 98594 02495

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111788 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 09:51:03.

End of official listing